Dealing with Emergencies

Kilstorm

Dealing with Emergencies

Post by Kilstorm »

I fly using FSPassengers with a random chance of failure set at 5% with the failure being from low to high so I could experience anything from a fuel leak, bird strike to an electrical loss. Most of the failures I can deal with using CRM but the one I would be most interested in talking about is the loss of electrical power causing my avionics to fail leaving me in a squawking 7600 situation.

I've had a FSPax electrical failure before where power keeps coming and going to the plane giving me like a 1 second power surge before going off again for 5-15 seconds. In that 1 sec I was able to see the GPS and continue to reconfirm my flight but that was on a Carenado plane where the GPS powered right up. Now I am flying planes with a GTN750 which once turned off doesnt just come back on or in the JS41 using the FMS. So I fear that if I were to get one of these random failures two things would happen. One is that Im not sure if by squawking 7600 my transponder will even read to the controller during these power surges and the second would be my in ability to communicate.

I'm starting to prepare for these things as I know someday it will happen and am curious as to what would be the best thing to do if I loose communication on one of my flights into Class B Denver?

Some scenarios are:
a) If I am flying VFR I and have not been cleared into Class B I would just remain outside and seek an alternate field.
b) On that same VFR flight if cleared into Class B by approach but before being switched to Tower what should I do?
C) If inbound in the JetStream 41 flying IFR I really wouldnt have much VFR references. What would be best course of action if I couldnt communicate with the controller?

Inflight failures happen and I am not looking for them but enjoy flying with them on at a very low % chance of happening as it keeps me on my toes the whole flight. Just dont want to make things harder on the rest of those online but do like to keep the immersion and realism level as high as possible and would prefer to trouble shoot it while online than going offline to deal with it.
Nathan Palmer
Nantucket, MA
HRutila

Re: Dealing with Emergencies

Post by HRutila »

1. Correct.

2. Continue to Denver and towards your assigned runway if there was one.

3. If you're IFR you could still be in VMC. If so, remain in VMC conditions and continue inbound for an approach to your assigned runway. If unable to maintain VMC, follow the lost communications instructions on your STAR. If there are no said instructions, improvise and get yourself onto an approach to your assigned runway.
Harold Rutila
COMM-MEL/CFII