IFR KDEN to KTEX in Twotter

Kilstorm

IFR KDEN to KTEX in Twotter

Post by Kilstorm »

I'm looking at flying from KDEN to KTEX on a routine basis and looking to fly IFR. The Twin Otter is a non pressurized plane but in doing research, there was an airline that flew that route in that plane and just installed oxygen for all the seats to meet requirements. However, I would feel that would be more for flying in the 12-16,000MSL range and not so much as getting up into flight levels. For both the lack of oxygen and the temps for keeping the plane warm during the winter flying.

So my first question is must I file a SID to get out of KDEN for an IFR flight or can I just file a route? If I have to file a SID, I'm looking at ROCKI3.HBU ETL @FL200, can anyone see a better route that keeps me lower while not taking far out of the way?
Nathan Palmer
Nantucket, MA
Keith Smith

Re: IFR KDEN to KTEX in Twotter

Post by Keith Smith »

They can't force you to FILE a SID, but they can issue a SID in the clearance. If the airport requires everyone to be on a DP, then you could always accept the DENVER NINE departure (however you can't file it as there is no filing code for it).

I'd file FQF V160 HBU at an altitude above the MEA (which is way less than FL200).