SEATL5 Departure

dhplane

SEATL5 Departure

Post by dhplane »

I'm having trouble making sense of the Seattle 5 Departure, specifically departures from runways 34R and 16C.

Instructions are for 34R departures to fly a heading of 344 and then the SEA 341 radial. The problem is that the 344 heading takes you AWAY from the radial, not towards it.

The same thing happens with departures from 16C, where you are asked to fly a heading of 162 and then the SEA 161 radial. But again, it appears that the 162 heading makes it impossible to intercept the radial.

I'm sure there's a simple answer, but I just can't see it. Thanks for you help!
overload

Re: SEATL5 Departure

Post by overload »

As the SEA VOR is only a 100 yards west of runway 34R, and 34R 's magnetic direction is 343 degrees, I suspect the SID is effectively saying climb straight ahead, then follow the radial which would effectively be almost centred after a very short while.
Same for the 16C departure.
Just my best guess, but I'll try it in the SIM to confirm.
Eugene
dhplane

Post by dhplane »

You're probably right, Eugene. I guess what they're saying is "climb straight ahead and join the radial"... I just want to make sure I'm not stepping on anyone as I'm doing that.

Thanks for the quick response.

Joey
kleistad

Post by kleistad »

I find the wording interesting. "fly heading xxx AND SEA R-xxx", the "and" maybe has an deeper meaning then I understand or I may be over thinking this. Not knowing better I would fly it as @overload suggests. Anyone who can clarify the "and"?
Kristoffer L.
N187KT
Matthias Geiss

Post by Matthias Geiss »

In the LIDO version it says "intercept" instead.

So what I would do is fly the initial heading until 400ft AGL, then turn on to (and intercept) the radial.

dhplane

Post by dhplane »

That certainly clarifies it, Matthias, THX!
kleistad

Post by kleistad »

Reading the LIDO chart condirms for me what overload stated earlier, fly the initial heading until your centered on the radial, than follow the radial
Kristoffer L.
N187KT
ImPilot

Post by ImPilot »

It also has non standard take off minimums/obstacle departure procedures . You can tell that by the white "T" inside the black upside down triangle. If you flip to the front of your approach charts you can see under SEA for 34R its says, "Climb to 1000 via heading 343, then climbing left turn direct SEA VORTAC, thence... ... climb in SEA VORTAC holding pattern ( hold SE, left turns, 310 inbound) to MEA/MCA for route of flight."