Cleared via/as filed and airspace

ngoiz

Cleared via/as filed and airspace

Post by ngoiz »

Hi,

I had a question regarding clearances as filed/via and surrounding airspace. Once you hear "cleared via" does that mean that you can go through any airspace to get to your next waypoint?

So for instance, departing REI you get: Cleared via PDZ ...., does that effectively give you permission to enter the SBD Delta or do you have to remain clear? This applies to departing IFR from the ground or picking up in air. I would understand that there is no problem with the Charlie given that you have two way radio comms with approach but I was wondering the case of the Delta since it is owned by someone else. Maybe I'm mixing up different things here...

Thanks in advance!
Norberto
EASA and FAA PPL
Keith Smith

Re: Cleared via/as filed and airspace

Post by Keith Smith »

the low enroute chart doesn't depict the Delta airspace for Class D airports. When you get the release from Socal, you can assume they've coordinated the transition with SBD tower.

My home airport (N07) has started using the nearby CDW Delta tower freq as the initial departure freq in IFR clearances. When I call them up, they know I'm coming because NY Approach has told them as part of issuing my IFR release.
ngoiz

Re: Cleared via/as filed and airspace

Post by ngoiz »

That makes sense. Thanks Keith for the answer!
Norberto
EASA and FAA PPL