First Flight and a couple of questions

Goblin

First Flight and a couple of questions

Post by Goblin »

Hi everybody,

I did my first flight on PE last night. I'm surprised at how nervous I was. I mean, earlier this week I presented a design review to a room full of electrical, mechanical, and software engineers, and wasn't nearly as nervous as I was sitting in a simulated Cessna!!! The truth is I chickened out the night before. And the night before that!!
Anyway, I wasn't sure if my PTT was working before I took off from L52 and didn't know how to test it, so after sitting on the ramp and just listening, I decided just just get moving. Made my calls to Oceano traffic, took off, climbed, and turned toward San Louis. When I made my inbound call to the San Louis tower and got no response, I knew my PTT wasn't working. So, I turned south and re-programmed it in flight. Traffic in the area was very lite and it only took a few seconds with FSUIPC. Called a radio check this time and it worked!
Anyway, my heart was racing the entire time (I think I'll wear my heart monitor next time :P ), but I was glad to have done it.

So, I think I messed up after I landed by not calling the tower to tell them I was clear of the runway. I'm going to do the flight again -- well maybe a longer, similar flight.

Some things I'm unsure about:
Is there a proper or expected way for me to do radio checks to check my sim settings?
Is there a particular procedure I need to follow for disconnecting from the PE network? Last night I didn't know what to do so I just quit the PE program.
I've been setting the sim to the current Pacific time and did my flight just after dusk. Is it o.k. to set the time and weather to anything of my choosing?

Thanks and kind regards,

Mike Frank
Keith Smith

Re: First Flight and a couple of questions

Post by Keith Smith »

Welcome to the network!
Is there a proper or expected way for me to do radio checks to check my sim settings?
Same as real life, call the facility you'd like to reach on the radio and ask for a radio check. "San Luis Ground, Cessna 123AB, radio check."
Is there a particular procedure I need to follow for disconnecting from the PE network? Last night I didn't know what to do so I just quit the PE program.
Quitting the application is fine.
I've been setting the sim to the current Pacific time and did my flight just after dusk. Is it o.k. to set the time and weather to anything of my choosing?
Yes, that's not a problem.
stevekirks

Post by stevekirks »

Keith beat me but I'm posting anyway and since it's his network, take mine with a light dusting of salt

---

Super quick reply before I head off to work this morning:

Congrats! First flights are always nerve-wracking...

Radio Checks: if you have to do it, be brief and be aware. Be aware of how much traffic is already on the radio, so don't call up in the middle of a string of clearances and readbacks. Be brief, in that you do a callsign and a "radio check" and expect back less. If it's easier, skip the check and call for a taxi.

Discos: Don't disconnect in a movement area or in flight without the controller's permission - it's a courtesy to the controller, not a hard/fast rule. Once you're over the line and in a parking spot, shut down the app like you'd shut down a radio in the plane - just quit the app.

Time/Date/Weather: If you're doing something other than real world match of those, tell the controller. Some procedures are NA after dusk, so you might not get a circle to land from ATC but in your sim it's daylight, her scope it's night.

Welcome aboard!

Steve
Steve Kirks (sKirks on Twitch)
KSGF--I-10 rated
Student Pilot
I invented the Alphabet Challenge, what's your excuse?
Alphabet Challenge
RonCraighead

Post by RonCraighead »

Welcome!

Sounds like you did a great job... And asked great quesions!

Radio shyness is perfectly normal, and PE is a great way to get over it for Real World students.

Keep at it, have fun taking it seriously, and fly safe!

I look forward to seeing you progress through the rating system. They are INCREDIBLY EDUCATIONAL (and yeah, I fly for realz a little...). I can't encourage you to dive in to the program and have fun.

Cheers,

Ron
Ron Craighead
VFR and IFR Pilot, High Performance and Complex Endorsement (AT-6 Texan), Tailwheel Endorsement (Cessna 170), Spin Endorsement (Great Lakes) and survived some acro!
FAA Advanced Ground Instructor, Instrument Ground Instructor.