LINDZ8 SID - KASE

Marcus Becker

LINDZ8 SID - KASE

Post by Marcus Becker »

I'm not going to go into detail as to how to fly the departure. I think our clients are smart enough to figure it out. However, I've been thoroughly surprised at the lack of preparation when it comes to flying the procedure. I'm going to venture to say that maybe 1 in 4 pilots has correctly flown the procedure in the last 3 months and when I ask, "Do you have the chart?" the answer is typically, "Hang on, let me get it." Let me just say that your FMS/GPS isn't going to fly this procedure for you. You have to read the chart. Once you read it, it isn't that bad.

Now, get out there and show me you can do it!
jtbarton

Re: LINDZ8 SID - KASE

Post by jtbarton »

And if you are still bewildered after seeing the chart, here is a hour and a half worth of debrief with Jonfly and Keith
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wusJFpWBCWQ
ChuckOman

Post by ChuckOman »

Really interesting and useful briefing.

But one heads up: The IPKN localizer in your scenery may be reverse of the real world.
When I flew the LOC/DME missed or the LINDZ8 SID in P3D, I discovered that IPKN localizer sense was opposite to that shown on the NACO or Jepp charts.
Both show that flying outbound on the IPKN offset LDA, the stippled/black area of the chart feather is on the right, indicating normal sensing. (The NACO includes a note "IPKN back course outbound is normal sensing". Keith mentions this.) But at least in P3D3/4 with Orbx global freeware KASE scenery, IPKN localizer 108.5 database shows an inbound course of 121 deg. So in the sim the normal sensing is set up for the inbound course, not the outbound as in the real world. Hence if you fly the LINDZ8 and try to intercept on the 273 heading, expect your CDI needle sensing will be reversed - turn away from the needle, not towards it. If you couple up on the way to LINDZ, use the REV or BC autopilot option. If you know about it, not a big deal.
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

That would be worth reporting to the Orbx folks (assuming they have custom nav data), or back to the P3D team. X-Plane has this entry in the stock nav data:
5 39.153936111 -106.821155556 0 10850 25 311.797 IPKN KASE K2 15 LDA
That shows an inbound course of 312'ish (true, not magnetic).
MervA

Post by MervA »

I highly recommend scenery from Aerosoft - Aspen Extended for FSX or P3Dv3/v4 give it a try, you'll like it.

Merv
Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro | i7 9700K 4.9 Ghz | BeQuiet Fan Cooler |32GB Corsair DDR4 3200 | Windows 10 Pro 64bit | Nvidea GTX 2080 Ti 11GB | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB x 2 | 2 x Acer XB280HK 28" 4K/2K G-Sync Monitor