Differences between airspace transition and FF during VFR?

wesyin

Differences between airspace transition and FF during VFR?

Post by wesyin »

I understand that I need to establish a two-way communication before entering a Class C or D airspace. Upon leaving the airspace, I'd expect "radar service terminated, squawk VFR" from the TRACON or tower. My question is: What should I do if this radar termination does not come (in time)? Is Radar Service during the transition of ONE Class C airspace equivalent to Flight Following (which makes ALL Classes C and D disappear)?

Here is the story: I take off from KSBD for KVNY under VFR, negative FF. The flight needs transitions through KONT Class C and KBUR Class C, which do not overlap. Upon clearing the KSBD Class D, I request transitioning through the KONT Class C, only telling Socal APP I am west bound. I receive a squawk and an altitude restriction. After leaving the KONT Class C and approaching the KBUR Class C, the controller is busy. I am not sure if he knows my destination, and the KBUR Class C is under another Socal APP frequency. What should I request then?
Kyle.Sanders

Re: Differences between airspace transition and FF during VF

Post by Kyle.Sanders »

Class D: two way communication is all that is required

Class C: two way and a mode C transponder.

Radar services (radar contact) is NOT a requirement.

Flight following IS radar services. You are being provided radar services anytime you are told "radar contact"

When under radar services, all airspace coordination is done for you by the controllers. The exception to this rule would be restricted areas and class b airspace. If you are not told "cleared through/into/etc... of that class B airspace, don't enter it regardless of radar services.

In your story- if you feel the controller forgot about you, there is no harm in giving them a reminder, maybe request an altimeter setting or something to get their eyes on you (never squawk Ident to achieve this)... but it's unlikely they forgot. But, ATC will coordinate that transition for you even if you are on the old controllers frequency.

***dont assume that one controller can't control two sectors with one frequency... they may be running a combined frequency that day.
Kyle Sanders
wesyin

Post by wesyin »

Thanks for the explanations. It helps a lot.

So, in my story, I will treat radar contact as flight following until it is terminated. I will say "Socal App, CallSign, destination Van Nuys, please advise any restriction of Burbank Class Charlie."
Mudhen

Post by Mudhen »

Here’s a template I find useful:
1. Initial Call
2. Who you are. (Call sign, type aircraft.)
3. Where you are. (Geographic location and altitude.)
4. What you want to do.

1. Initial Call: “So Cal Approach, Cessna 12345.”
So Cal: “Cessna 12345, So Cal Approach, go ahead.”
2. Who you are:
“Cessna 12345 is a Cessna 172…
3. Where you are:
…over Banning airport at 6,500 feet…
4. What you want to do.
…request flight following to Van Nuys airport, have information Delta.”

It’s short, concise and delivers all the information needed. Once the controller says, “Radar contact,” you’re free to fly through the airspace without regard to any Class C or D airspaces.
https://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/media/Order/ATC.pdf
Paragraph 2-1-16 / b and "Note."
This space intentionally left blank
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Once the controller says, “Radar contact,” you’re free to fly through the airspace without regard to any Class C or D airspaces.
The provision of radar service makes the underlying Class D's go away, agreed, however, the Class C effectively went away the moment 2 way communication was established. This is an important distinction as I often see people circling outside of the charlie while waiting to hear the words "radar contact," after we've issued a squawk code, or even worse, they follow up with "awaiting permission/clearance to transition the Class C."