First flight on PilotEdge

Jmcmanna

First flight on PilotEdge

Post by Jmcmanna »

I did my first flight with PilotEdge this morning from SAN-PDX in my old DC-9. I had a great time and can't wait until I have a couple hours free and can do it again.

I'm a real-world controller at a very busy TRACON and made a mistake today as a pilot that drives me crazy as a controller, so it was definitely good to get some perspective. I am always perplexed when a pilot who has previously checked-in suddenly goes NORDO. Usually I start by calling the last controller and seeing if he was sitting on their frequency; this is the case a lot of the time.

So as I was tuned in to Portland Approach, I hear "N958N, Portland Approach on guard, come up on 126.9"...which confused me, because that's what I thought I was on...but I was on PDX tower's frequency. While talking to approach, I loaded up the tower freq so I would just have to switch it from standby to active and not mess with the freq while flying an approach and getting ready to land. But, without thinking, I did actually switch the active frequency to the tower (which ended up being the wrong one in the end anyway).

The controllers all did a great job, and even though it was unintentional, I added some undesired realism with my radio snafu for them, too.
Ryan B

Re: First flight on PilotEdge

Post by Ryan B »

So the sim is up and running nice!

Glad to see you on PE! 8-)
PE ID: 29
FAA ATCS
FAA PPL ASEL
Kyle.Sanders

Post by Kyle.Sanders »

Haha! Welcome to the network.
Kyle Sanders
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Glad you liked it! I saw that you swapped to tower (our scope tells us these things so that we can provide the appropriate services to each aircraft) and my plan was to stay silent. Unfortunately, though, I had to make a radio call for another aircraft (as a different role). By breaking the silence, I figured that you'd have no way of detecting that you'd swapped to the wrong freq, so I did the next best thing, simulating a call on guard.

I can't promise that you'll get such detailed service every time you fly, depending on controller workload, but I'm glad that you enjoyed the experience on this one.