How PilotEdge helped me made my dream come true ...

mtn

Re: How PilotEdge helped me made my dream come true ...

Post by mtn »

Keith Smith wrote:The radio work was very good (trust me, if I had to try to handle ATC in a language other than my first language, I would be in terrible shape, so I have tremendous respect for what you are doing). English being your second language puts you at a disadvantage as your rate of speech is slower in English than your primary language (I can tell that from the narration where you're speaking 2-3x faster). I don't suggest you try to speed up your English, that would be unreasonable, HOWEVER, if you want to speed things up (ATC will be thrilled if you can do it), there are a few shortcuts you can take
Keith, thanks for that invaluable feedback. I'll start practicing this "cleaning up" of the communications as soon as I get back into PE. I expect to do another couple of flights next time I visit the US, during the second half of this year.

Will keep posting the other videos. And thanks again!

Martin.
PE ID: 6413
PPL ASEL
ARGENTINA - https://www.youtube.com/c/volarla
Ryan B

Post by Ryan B »

Great video! No idea what you were saying with your comments (except the english words I heard like Point Magu lol), but what a nice flight. Thanks for sharing!
Oh, do you happen to know why that cessna was holding at the end of the video? Maybe ground held him short of your taxiway in case you couldn't completely clear the hold short lines? I'm curious. Maybe they just paper stopped it.
PE ID: 29
FAA ATCS
FAA PPL ASEL
mtn

Post by mtn »

Ryan B wrote:Oh, do you happen to know why that cessna was holding at the end of the video? Maybe ground held him short of your taxiway in case you couldn't completely clear the hold short lines? I'm curious.
Hi, Ryan, there was a Hawker been towed at B between K and A, so I guess GND asked that Cessna to hold at B short of K. It's just a guess, because it was already there when I cleared the runway at K and switched to GND. We've been there for a while until the Hawker was towed away, and then GND cleared the Cessna to continue B to 15L, holding short of 25. And cleared me to Atlantic Aviation once the Cessna moves away from there.
PPL ASEL
Ryan B

Post by Ryan B »

Ahhh that makes sense
PE ID: 29
FAA ATCS
FAA PPL ASEL
uncertifiedpilot

Post by uncertifiedpilot »

Thanks, Keith.
I use flight simulator to get Instrument Rated: www.uncertifiedpilot.com
Join my live streams on Twitch
Watch my previous flights on YouTube
mtn

Post by mtn »

Hi all, here's the second video on this series. This time, it's a VFR flight from KSBA to KAVX invluding flight following and the mini route transition southbound.

It's also an example of a bad decision at landing. I crossed the threshold at 83 knots of GS. I think I should uave decided to go-around, but didn't do it. I realize how hard it is to make that decision, so I'll start practicing putting myself aceptable minimums for triggering this decision. Hope you enjoy it, although most of it is in spanish, except for the comms.

Thanks PilotEdge team for letting me practice the mini route virtually before trying it in real world:
PPL ASEL
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

I'm so glad you posted again. I'm looking forward to watching it!

Speed on final is very important. Typical approach speed for a 172 is 60-65kias depending on weight, so you either had a tailwind or you were fast. This is why it's so helpful to be religious about flying correct speed on final so that when you're presented with an odd visual configuration (landing at AVX has all sorts of things that look different compared to a normal field), you can always rely on flying a known speed (usually with a known power setting, before adding/subtracting for wind) on final.
rtataryn

Post by rtataryn »

"Flotar". ;)

Fantastic video! Thanks for posting it!
Rod
PPL, Instrument, ASEL, ASES
2013 Cirrus SR22T N877MS
2018 Icon A5 N509BA
1946 Piper J3 Cub N7121H
1942 Stearman N2S N6848
mtn

Post by mtn »

Keith Smith wrote:I'm so glad you posted again. I'm looking forward to watching it!
Hope you enjoy it :)
Keith Smith wrote:so you either had a tailwind or you were fast.
Well, let me tell you, I was freaking fast. My first time landing on such a field, when I realized I was that high, I put full flap, but it was already late. Being that close to the field, full fuel and four pax. If 83 kt was the GS, I would say my IAS was at least 90 knots at the rwy threashold. One of my worsts landings ever. :?

Anyway, it's a learning opportunity, for sure.
PPL ASEL
mtn

Post by mtn »

rtataryn wrote:"Flotar". ;) Fantastic video! Thanks for posting it!
LOL, thanks!
PPL ASEL