Speed requirements on standard arrivals

dhplane

Speed requirements on standard arrivals

Post by dhplane »

I'm sure this has been answered before but I couldn't find it.

If I can't meet a speed requirement on an arrival (such as 280 kts at GRAMM on the RIIVR3 into LAX) should I file the flight plan WITHOUT the STAR and just enter the individual waypoints into my route, or can I include the arrival in the flight plan and simply inform the controller that I can't comply with the speed requirement?

Thx as always for your help.
jx_

Re: Speed requirements on standard arrivals

Post by jx_ »

either works, however, if you are cleared the STAR, you MUST notify ATC.

I would recommend letting clearance delivery know and putting it in your remarks.
dhplane

Post by dhplane »

That makes sense, I'll do that... thx!
Kyle.Sanders

Post by Kyle.Sanders »

Now... I'm curious.
Was GRAMM just an example, or your case here? 280 at GRAMM seems reasonable and I'm not sure of a situation (known well in advance) that wouldn't allow you to make that speed. I've also been wrong before... once.... years ago... it's a national day of morning now.
Kyle Sanders
dhplane

Post by dhplane »

The airplane I was planning on flying on that trip is the Carenado Citation 550, which redlines at about 280 kts...

... also, none of the turboprops I would use to fly that route could meet the 280 knot requirement...
Shawn Goldsworthy

Post by Shawn Goldsworthy »

dhplane wrote:The airplane I was planning on flying on that trip is the Carenado Citation 550, which redlines at about 280 kts...

... also, none of the turboprops I would use to fly that route could meet the 280 knot requirement...
It's a jet arrival only, so you wouldn't be on there with a turboprop anyway. But I can understand the situation with the C550. I would imagine the EA50 and other VLJ's would have a similar issue.
Shawn Goldsworthy
PilotEdge ATCS
Kyle.Sanders

Post by Kyle.Sanders »

Got ya. Thanks :)
Kyle Sanders