Windy near Vegas and Rock2 transition

Vaillant

Windy near Vegas and Rock2 transition

Post by Vaillant »

Hello everyone,

I haven't been able to fly for a little while and tonight I was able to do a quick flight. I decided on a short travel between Henderson executive (KHND) and North Las Vegas (KVGT) in my C182.
The weather was great during preflight but while flying when I took the ATIS for North Las Vegas wind was going at over 30 knots, I attempted the landing and though I didn't create a pile of spare parts I went off the runway and it was a ugly landing. The controller cleared me to the wrong runway 12R while those winds came from 340. Good things it's only a sim!!

While flying the Rocks2 I got my clearance on 125.9 above Jean (0L7) flew the procedure to the letter. However the controller corrected me for switching frequency to 125.7 after Red Rock Retention Bassin and contacting North Las Vegas tower on my own.
I don't really understand what I'm suppose to do contact the tower on my own as given in the note or wait for ATC to transfer me?
Keith Smith

Re: Windy near Vegas and Rock2 transition

Post by Keith Smith »

Don't leave a frequency if you're receiving radar services from a controller unless told to do so.
Vaillant

Re: Windy near Vegas and Rock2 transition

Post by Vaillant »

Ok thank you for the correction.