Phraseology : leaving closed traffic?

Althar93

Phraseology : leaving closed traffic?

Post by Althar93 »

Hello all,

I was wondering what the correct phraseology was for requesting to leave the closed traffic & at what point should such call be made. For instance, say I decide to practice some touch & gos at San Luis, & decide after my 4th landing that I wish to head out south to Oceano or any other destination. What should I be asking on the radio & at what point should the request be made (on the ground or else).

I would appreciate your input.

Cheers,
Kyle.Sanders

Re: Phraseology : leaving closed traffic?

Post by Kyle.Sanders »

If you are in the pattern currently and want to depart, I would make the request as soon as I know when.
Preferably right before I make my last approach.
"N3AB would like to depart to the south after this (touch and go, stop and go, full stop, etc...)"

Tower will then give you instructions accordingly "N3AB, after (stop and go, touch and go, etc...), left downwind departure approved"
Kyle Sanders
zerofay32

Re: Phraseology : leaving closed traffic?

Post by zerofay32 »

There is no hard and fast rule but what I was taught was on downwind of your last full pattern (prior to your last landing) tell the tower that with will be your last (landing/touch-and-go/low approach) and that afterword you will be departing (insert cardinal direction/heading/or destination). This will give the tower a chance to give you departure instructions before you do you last operation and will give them time to plan if there is any more traffic in the area. Of course you can also let them know on the Upwind or crosswind but the pilot usually is still getting the plane configured for the next circuit and I think that downwind is best since most of the time, tower will have you report midfield downwind anyways.

An example call would be:
Aircraft on downwind,
N123AB: Tower, 3AB left midfield downwind 29, this will be our last touch-and-go. Afterword we will depart your area to the South South-East toward Oceano.
SBP Tower: 3AB roger. Cleared touch-and-go runway 29. On the go, turn left on course.
N123AB: Cleared touch-and-go 29. Left on course on the go. 3AB.

Hope this helps.

EDIT: Ninja'd by Kyle... :lol:
Andrew Fay
PilotEdge V-3; CAT-11; I-11; Skyhigh 10
Commercial Pilot/Instrument ASEL/AMEL- KOSU / Commercial sUAS