I6 . ILS 20r ksan

pkofman

I6 . ILS 20r ksan

Post by pkofman »

I am working through the I6 into ksna .My normal thing is to fly the test a few times to ensure i understand and can be proficient before attempting the test..Sometime it takes a couple of shots and i learn allot of this process... I see there is a hold/course reversal at sager ( IAF) . After sager I would normally fly the hold entry as a parallel or offset ( american ) btw they are called teardrop ( I live in canada ). Basically I fly to sager, fly over the fix and go outbound via a left 45 degree turn off the outbound course and then after a minute a right turn ( showing right turns in the hold ) back to sager into the hold until further clearance is received for the ils. ( this does not quite match the text of the description with the i6.I suppose if i was doing a parallel entry then it would be outbound then left back to sager then right into the hold until further clearance. I see that the course reversal is show on the plate ( and i use foreflight connected to p3d so i have the plate showing while flying . Foreflight includes the course reversal but my gps does not) . My question is sager is not the gps as the IAF for this approach , the course reversal and the sager fix do not show in the gps plate or procedure as part of the approach (but sager is the IAF.... confused ?!) (Im using flight1's 750gtn with navigraph database ) In the 750 the first fix shown is snake, but that is not correct if using the lead in radial from sli R-049 @4000 ft. which take you to sager
Can someone please correct me or provide guidance. Is the course reversal part of the procedure or not, does the ins start at snake? and why doesn't it show up in the gtn750 procedure flight plan selection if updated with navigraph
Thoughts.
Peter
Peter Kofman
Real World Pilot
1000hrs
VFR VFROTT IFR
Canadian Pilot
Night and Water./FLOATS AMPHIB..
Mooney BRAVO TLS M20M
jx_

Re: I6 . ILS 20r ksan

Post by jx_ »

Peter,

ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS use the chart!!! When the GPS/FMS is showing a difference, reprogram it to match the chart or discontinue use. You will be expected to fly the approach as published for the current AIRAC cycle.

Also, you only hold to await further clearance when you've reached your 'clearance limit.' Clearance Limit is defined as the end point to which an aircraft is cleared to (on the ground, before takeoff clearance, it's the end point of your taxi instructions.) All instrument approach clearances in the USA clear you all the way to the missed approach holding fix. The ILS20R at SNA, for example, clears you to MINOE.

So, to answer your question, yes SAGER is the IAF and a PT should be flown.

Here is current chart for reference (valid until June 22 2017): http://aeronav.faa.gov/d-tpp/1706/00377IL20R.PDF

JX
pkofman

Re: I6 . ILS 20r ksan

Post by pkofman »

Excellent. Toss the Garmin. They got it wrong. Does not happen to me very often but I suppose errors are likely
Thank you for the response. Btw the course reversal is actually more of a replacement for a procedure turn vs a true hold Unless as you say told to hang around in the hold because that is in fact given as a clearance limit
Thank you peter
Peter Kofman
Real World Pilot
1000hrs
VFR VFROTT IFR
Canadian Pilot
Night and Water./FLOATS AMPHIB..
Mooney BRAVO TLS M20M