Re-entering Charlie airspace

bbuckley

Re-entering Charlie airspace

Post by bbuckley »

Question: I was VFR from KONT to KSNA and the weather between me and KSNA wouldn't permit a VFR entry and descent even though the airport was VFR, so I asked SOCAL for an IFR flight plan to KSNA. To remain VFR I orbited north of Yorba Linda while copying the clearance. While doing so I noticed I had re-entered the KONT Charlie at 3,500. I assume that since I had established and was in continuous communications with Approach that I was OK to re-enter and that if it wasn't OK the controller would have given direction to remain clear. They did not and I assume everything is as it should be. Is that correct?

BTW, I also learned that if you ask for a pop up IFR at 15nm from the airport and get a very complicated clearance, as a single pilot IFR you will be incredibly busy trying to aviate and navigate and communicate. I really struggled. I couldn't get anything programmed into the 430 except the ILS approach. I did get PDZ dialed into the VOR and call up the IFR Low plate on FF but that was the best I could do. Thankfully the controller probably noticed I was struggling (altitude +- 150' & hdg a bit erratic) so she soon gave me vectors and things got better.
Commercial / Instrument / KMLB
Shawn Goldsworthy

Re: Re-entering Charlie airspace

Post by Shawn Goldsworthy »

You are correct. You only need to have established 2 way communications to fly in the class C airspace. As long as you are talking to the approach controller, you can fly in and out of it as much as you want as long as you aren't specifically told to remain clear of the airspace, or hear the words "Radar services terminated, frequency change approved". Class B works differently, once you leave it, you can't re-enter it unless given another clearance to enter the class B.

Yup, pop up IFR can be very busy for single pilot ops, especially without an autopilot. Having knowledge of the TEC route system in SoCal can help you anticipate what route you're going to get, but you could definitely get something different.
Shawn Goldsworthy
PilotEdge ATCS
bbuckley

Re: Re-entering Charlie airspace

Post by bbuckley »

Thanks Shawn! I recognized the TEC route just wasn't fast enough to get stuff dialed in. I did have PDZ tuned so I was about to intercept the 270R but I was also just about at V363 so thankfully I got vectors from there. I was thrashing about, but it was fun and no actual or simulated persons were harmed in the process! :D As usual, PE provided a great training opportunity.
Commercial / Instrument / KMLB