Reno Appr Question

FDXDave

Reno Appr Question

Post by FDXDave »

Hello friends. I'm bran new to PilotEdge. I have a procedural question. A few times now ( that other network lol ) I have been authorized the ILS 16R Z APPR for RENO from the SIERRA3 arrival. which has as you know the last WP is HOBOA. which is also conveniently the IAF for the 16RILS Z APPR. So when cleared I would just punch it in the FMS and fly the turns... well the GPS would fly the turns. So tonight I tried PilotEdge for the FIRST TIME ( definitely different but fun ) and flew the same flight plan...( because i was familiar with it ). I requested the ILS Z which he advised I was cleared to do. He then started vectoring me....I said I was just following the listed FMS WP's which was why I was "still turning". He said that I was being vectored to final and that I needed to fly his instructions. Which I did comply with, But just utterly confused. Usually I just fly the Coarse and no one vectors me.. Anyway, I know its long winded and your probably very confused too. He was very nice and professional and I'm not saying he was wrong. I'm asking why all the WP's in the FMS if they are just going to vector you anyway? Thank you friends.
Dave.
rtataryn

Re: Reno Appr Question

Post by rtataryn »

Dave,

I should probably sit this one out and let a controller here answer, but . . .

when flying IFR (or even VFR within a controller's airspace) his vector and altitude instructions supersede any prior clearance or published route. The waypoints and published departure and arrival procedures are obviously established for flow and to minimize ATC instructions and radio chatter, but frequently vectors are needed for aircraft separation or other reasons . . . sometimes even for local weather conditions. In any case, when a controller gives you a heading and altitude to fly, that's your new arrival plan to get you onto the approach.
Rod
PPL, Instrument, ASEL, ASES
2013 Cirrus SR22T N877MS
2018 Icon A5 N509BA
1946 Piper J3 Cub N7121H
1942 Stearman N2S N6848
FDXDave

Post by FDXDave »

rtataryn wrote:Dave,

I should probably sit this one out and let a controller here answer, but . . .

when flying IFR (or even VFR within a controller's airspace) his vector and altitude instructions supersede any prior clearance or published route. The waypoints and published departure and arrival procedures are obviously established for flow and to minimize ATC instructions and radio chatter, but frequently vectors are needed for aircraft separation or other reasons . . . sometimes even for local weather conditions. In any case, when a controller gives you a heading and altitude to fly, that's your new arrival plan to get you onto the approach.
That's it. That's the answer. " his vector and altitude instructions supersede any prior clearance or published route. " I over think stuff at times. But that makes total sence. His option to vector me or just let me fly the coarse as published. It wasn't busy so maybe he was just being helpful. What ever the case i thank you. Next time i get vectored after starting a procedure, I'm just going to dump the procedure out the window. Lol Thank you sir.
See you top side.
Dave.
zerofay32

Post by zerofay32 »

More likely what happened was the controller assumed you wanted Vectors To Final, Which is kind of the default way to fly an Instrument approach when in contact with ATC. Next time you fly this route and procedure, you would have to say "Reno Approach, N12345 requests the ILS 16R Z, full approach from HOBOA" If you just request "ILS 16R Z" the controller will vector you (most likely). This scenario is one of the many differences between PE (and real world) procedures and 'those other networks.' ;)
Andrew Fay
PilotEdge V-3; CAT-11; I-11; Skyhigh 10
Commercial Pilot/Instrument ASEL/AMEL- KOSU / Commercial sUAS
FDXDave

Post by FDXDave »

zerofay32 wrote:More likely what happened was the controller assumed you wanted Vectors To Final, Which is kind of the default way to fly an Instrument approach when in contact with ATC. Next time you fly this route and procedure, you would have to say "Reno Approach, N12345 requests the ILS 16R Z, full approach from HOBOA" If you just request "ILS 16R Z" the controller will vector you (most likely). This scenario is one of the many differences between PE (and real world) procedures and 'those other networks.' ;)
Thank you Zerofay. Yes learning these techniques is part of the fun for me. So I will certainly keep it in mind that the default way to get someone set up for an instrument appr is to vector. I've also copied and pasted how you would request the procedure into the flight plan I have for that flight. Thanks a lot for taking the time to assist me.
Dave.