30 Years Old : Too Old To Become A Pilot?

alexmillis

30 Years Old : Too Old To Become A Pilot?

Post by alexmillis »

What if someone who is already more than 30 years old (like me ! grumpy ) decides to go back to school with the aim to become an airline pilot ? (without having any previous work experience in the aviation field.)

I have heard saying that many younger students have a lot of difficulties finding a job after they obtain their license, so I can imagine that for someone older, it should be nearly impossible, unless one is willing to work anywhere in the world flying for any company. Not talking about the cost of such Studies, and the time it takes before being able to apply for a job.

So, "mission impossible", or on the contrary, is it more a matter of will ? What do you guys think ?

Regards,
Mudhen

Re: 30 Years Old : Too Old To Become A Pilot?

Post by Mudhen »

I say “Go!”
Imagine yourself ten years from now having done nothing to advance your dream. At 40, you will look back on this post and wonder if you could have made it a career.
Some peeps reflect and ponder, “what if?” On the other side are those who dive in with both feet, “sink or swim, here I go.”
I don’t think it’s a matter of “will” necessarily. Instead I think it’s a matter of vision, determination, discipline, and doing.
It’s a risk, to be sure, and the older you get the more interruptions you’ll have, though it may be worth the commitment.
But you need to be sure it’s the thing to which you want to dedicate your life.
For years it may include crummy schedules, crummy pay, and usually crummy benefits, if any, until you get established with a good firm.
This space intentionally left blank
Kevin_atc

Post by Kevin_atc »

alexmillis wrote: I have heard saying that many younger students have a lot of difficulties finding a job after they obtain their license, so I can imagine that for someone older, it should be nearly impossible, unless one is willing to work anywhere in the world flying for any company.
That may have been the case 5-10 years ago, but at the moment it's a very pilot-friendly market. The regionals (where you would begin your career) are hiring like crazy.
Kevin
PilotEdge Marketing
Want faster answers to your forum questions? Join our Discord community: www.pilotedge.net/discord
FDXDave

Post by FDXDave »

I always say follow your dreams ! If nothing else just the meer training and flying will be rewarding.
And ofcoarse while you are in training, network as much as you can. Get to know people who are already
In the field doing it. I'm to old and I'm also on disability so this PE and xplane
Has allowed me the feeling of actually doing it.
But in your shoes. Don't look back. Just do it buddy.