Runup area and ATC

arb65912

Runup area and ATC

Post by arb65912 »

I have a very simple question. Let's say I am at class B or C airport, I am already cleared to taxi to active.
Where and when I do my runup?
It suppose to be done before take off so close to the runway entrance or runup area if it is designated.
Do I just taxi to the runway, hold short or txi to runup area and do my runup and before take off check list while on the Ground frequency?

How it works with the big planes, they can not do runup before the take off because there is usually a whole line taxiing for take off ( busy class B airports)

Runup and before take off list are very important part of flying , please let me understand how it works.

Cheers, AJ
Joe_SD

Re: Runup area and ATC

Post by Joe_SD »

In my real world experiance, after cleared to taxi, you taxi to run-up area, do run-up, while on ground Freq., then contact tower when ready for takeoff, in class C and D airports. Once you are at the runup area you are free to switch to tower. I am not sure about class B airports as have only been to those on VATSIM/PilotEdge. I am sure some more answers are to follow.
DrZGard

Post by DrZGard »

Most airports will have a widened area at the end of the taxiway just at or before the turn to the end of the runway where you are planning to take off from. This isn't always modeled in the flight simulator. Larger airports will have dedicated run up areas you can note on the taxiway chart, once again, those are not always modeled in the sim. Run ups differ by aircraft, some very simple, some rather time consuming checking multiple systems. If your run up includes higher thrust settings (most all do) certainly the aircraft/people/hangers/etc behind you don't appreciate it!
Regards,
Dr. Zane Gard
ASEL IFR

AOPA #00915027
EAA #825848
American Mensa #100314888
NM Doug

Post by NM Doug »

Recently, I landed at KABQ (Class C) and planned to taxi back to take off again for another leg of a mini cross country. After ground control had given me taxi instructions back to the active, I said that I would require a runup before departure and asked if they could advise a suitable spot. Having looked at the facility diagram and a Google Earth satellite view of the airport ahead of time, I knew that the active runway didn't have a dedicated runup area.

The ground controller directed me to stop close to the side of a specific taxiway to do the runup, and then we heard ground controller telling an MD-80 that a Cessna 172 was doing a runup and asking if they had us in sight. We got a nice photo of the MD-80 taxiing around us :)

I don't know if this is the officially sanctioned method - I remember looking on the internet with this same question, and this was a suggestion one or two others made.

- Doug
arb65912

Post by arb65912 »

Thank you for the input, Gentlemen.

It gave me a good idea what to do and expect as far as runup.

Doug wrote:
The ground controller directed me to stop close to the side of a specific taxiway to do the runup, and then we heard ground controller telling an MD-80 that a Cessna 172 was doing a runup and asking if they had us in sight.
This is what would call professionalism. :)

Last night I "tested" the runup and just as expected, I was told to do it at the end of the taxiway before entering the runway I was going to take off from.

The more I fly on PE , the more I see the realism and professionalism it provides for student pilots like me who want to learn in the most realistic environment. Thank you Keith and a whole PE crew.

Cheers, AJ
Daddy O

Post by Daddy O »

I have always done my runup near the hold short line, wherever there was enough room to swing the plane around to face into the wind and back to the runway. But then I never flew into KLAX or any of the busy airports. Tucson international is one of those airports where you can still do crash 'n dashes in the pattern while they land commercial traffic on the parallel beside you. They'd rather you went to Ryan or Marana airfields, but you still see people doing touch n goes there (you can squeeze in 5 landings in one pass on the main runway at TI.)

THE airports that Eugene and I have been working on (for Xplane users) all have the accurately detailed runup areas, along with IFR holding zones, taxi lines, and such. (along with custom spawn points so you don;t have to appear on the runway.) www.xplanes-scenery.com
arb65912

Post by arb65912 »

Thank you for the input, Daddy.

I have noticed the X-Plane scenery airports just for PE and I am going to try them out. I am sure , I will love the accuracy and details. Great job guys.