Bravo airports

deansalman

Bravo airports

Post by deansalman »

I have been with PE for about 6 weeks never talking to atc before and each flight i getting a little better. The cat training helps and the feed back from the controllers helps. Lot of the airports in the western ext are class B so I followed the advice in one of the workshops that I should just go for it so I took off from Denver. Did pretty well over all but would like to watch more youtubes or workshops that cover these big guys. Maybe someone out there knows of some. Mostly I have been watching the ones in PE. For example, on foreflight There is a outline where the bravo airspace was but also a larger red circle so is that the true other limits of a bravo? So little things like that. Btw next time there is updates in the western ext, KCOS would be great. Maybe I feel safer in a class C airport at least right now. :D
Dean Salman
N117SB Diamond Twin Star
Kyle.Sanders

Re: Bravo airports

Post by Kyle.Sanders »

Take a trip over to SkyVector for this explanation (because I don't have ForeFlight).

I assume you are speaking of this Red Line
ModeC1.jpg
ModeC1.jpg (141.68 KiB) Viewed 4548 times
This means when you are within this lateral area, you basically need to be squawking Altitude (Mode-C) Reporting, regardless if you are speaking to ATC or not.

If you want to know what ANY of these symbols mean on these maps, especially the commonly used ones, switch to a non-combined map like this one
ModeC3.jpg
ModeC3.jpg (36.68 KiB) Viewed 4548 times
Then travel to the upper left of that map and you will see a legend.
ModeC2.jpg
ModeC2.jpg (72.11 KiB) Viewed 4548 times
Then... you have the entire library basically here: https://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/flight_ ... ero_guide/
Kyle Sanders
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

In addition to Kyle's response, also consider checking out http://pilotedge.net/workshops starting from the bottom and working up. Stop when you get to IFR. Bravo operations are covered in detail, along with the Mode C veil if memory serves.
deansalman

Post by deansalman »

I have been going through the workshops, all of them really. Just started IFR One and that will take time. I did get into Klax which was interesting. Last night came into KSLC. The G1000 does make it a little bit easier, thats for sure. Hope to get a lot out of the IFR workshops. Not sure if I will fly IFR on a normal bases unless weather says otherwise. I think I need to stay with one and have it rock solid before filing a IFR plan. However, not that I have a clear understanding on the G1000, i think I can switch to IRF on a approach when weather is bad on a VFR flight plan. Maybe the workshops cover this breifly.
Dean Salman
N117SB Diamond Twin Star
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

What you're asking about is picking up an IFR clearance while in the air, not having filed one in advance. That's also known as a "pop-up clearance." You're basically either well-versed in IFR procedures, or you're not. You can't really dip your toe in the water and say, "I just want to know how to pick up a clearance in the air so I can shoot an approach." It really is an all or nothing thing (IMO) in terms of what you should strive to learn. Either work towards understanding IFR inside and out, or ignore it completely. Don't try to do a middle of the road solution.
deansalman

Post by deansalman »

I think I added confusion, I am no where near ready for IFR. I forgot everything I learned in the 90's about it so need to start over. I just started the work shops in IFR, I do get a little confused leaving VFR a Bravo from the ground because it varies it seems. So I will revisit the Bravo workshop again and look at other youtube examples. I stopped at Cat 9 for now until I have a full understanding even though I seem to get out and in LAX ok, most of the time :)

ok I just saw a good youtube on leaving a bravo. Using Craft seems to be the key so I will continue practicing and learning which is why I joined PE in the first place
Dean Salman
N117SB Diamond Twin Star
Kyle.Sanders

Post by Kyle.Sanders »

If you can leave a Charlie airspace with specific instructions issued to you, you can depart a Beavo.... KSBA for example is popular for having aircraft “After departure- fly runway heading. Maintain VFR at or below 1,500 until advised”... the only thing different in the Bravo is that ATC is going to say “cleared out of the ____ bravo airspace....”
Kyle Sanders