Departure procedure transitions

dhplane

Departure procedure transitions

Post by dhplane »

When I file a flight plan with a departure procedure do I have to use one of the published transitions or can I specify another waypoint as my transition?

For example, if I’m going from Aspen to Telluride I could use the LINDZ8 Grand Junction transition but that takes me too far west before turning south. Obviously, the controller can choose to give me a shortcut at any time it’s possible (i.e. “After LINDZ fly direct to the CONES VOR”)... the question is whether I could file the LINDZ8 and specify another point, like SLOLM or PACES?

I’m pretty sure the answer is “No” but I wanted to check anyway.

Thanks as always.

Joey
HRutila

Re: Departure procedure transitions

Post by HRutila »

Yes, this is permitted.
Harold Rutila
COMM-MEL/CFII
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

pilot nav SIDS have a common termination point, then optional transitions. The LINDZ8 departure goes to LINDZ, period. Optionally, you can then proceed to one of the published transitions.

The computer filing codes tell the story....if you want to get off the merry go round at LINDZ, then file LINDZ8.LINDZ.SLOLM, or LINDZ8.LINDZ.PACES.

Do NOT file LINDZ8.SLOLM as that is not a valid filing code for the LINDZ8.

For more information, see the workshop on SIDs.
dhplane

Post by dhplane »

Thanks Keith, that is very helpful... I’ll check the workshop again...

PS: I got my instrument rating in 1968 when the current classifications of airspace did not exist and instrument procedures were a lot simpler than they are today... Pilotedge is a great way for a 40+ year lapsed pilot to learn to fly again... thanks for that!