What is a demerit?

Frank White

What is a demerit?

Post by Frank White »

I earned a demerit from a controller after entering Charlie airspace without permission. I'd been spending most of my flying in Class D airspace and have earned some CAT ratings.What is a demerit? Am I at risk of being kicked off PE if I earn another? Can''t say why, but I'm terrified of ATC but nevertheless been pressing through. My incursion demerit didn't help. :cry: BTW: Although this is no excuse, I started making my calls 11 miles out, but didn't reach tower until I was where I thought was 8 miles out. Turns our I was actually closer. Saving grace is that this is a lesson I shall take to the real world. :)

Frank
Aspiring Pilot
Frank
N175FW - Cessna 172SP
N286WF - Piper Arrow P28R
N5144L - Cessna 152 II
N9875N - Pilatus P12
N850TB - Socata TBM850
N4945C - Socata TBM900
N7195P - Beech Baron 58
N58777 - Piper Cub
Kyle.Sanders

Re: What is a demerit?

Post by Kyle.Sanders »

This attached picture is straight from the Aeronautical Information Manual.

I think you may have encountered a situation where you did not have two-way-communication with the controlling facility prior to entering that C airspace.

#3 note would then apply to you in a sense.
Attachments
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (143.18 KiB) Viewed 3341 times
Kyle Sanders
Kevin_atc

Post by Kevin_atc »

Kyle.Sanders wrote:This attached picture is straight from the Aeronautical Information Manual.

I think you may have encountered a situation where you did not have two-way-communication with the controlling facility prior to entering that C airspace.

#3 note would then apply to you in a sense.
He knows what he did wrong. The purpose of his post is asking how serious a pilot deviation on PE is and what it could potentially result in.
Kevin
PilotEdge Marketing
Want faster answers to your forum questions? Join our Discord community: www.pilotedge.net/discord
Matthias Geiss

Post by Matthias Geiss »

PE is (among other things) a training environment, so it's only natural that mistakes happen.

The goal is that you a) realize your mistake and b) learn how to avoid it in the future. You won't get kicked out or even banned because of making mistakes.

Deliberately doing wrong things (a.k.a trolling) is of course a different kettle of fish.
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Frank,

Apologies for not catching this sooner. A pilot deviation is not going to get you kicked off the network. This is a training environment and it's expected that airspace violations are going to occur. That doesn't mean that we ignore them, and it doesn't mean that pilots should do not do their best to be prepared for every flight, but it does mean that you won't be thrown out for making the type of mistake that you'd expect to see from a real world student pilot. You're in good shape. Learn, and continue to fly.