Several question from a possible newbie

bobsk8

Several question from a possible newbie

Post by bobsk8 »

A bit of a background, I have been a PPL since 1978, no longer active, except in flight simming where I usually fly 80 hours a month minimum. Flown everything from 767-737-Q400 etc, but lately focused only on GA aircraft like the A2A C 182. I fly currently on Vatsim, but the annoying thing about Vatsim is controller availability is very spotty many times. As an example, the last 10 flights I have done, about 50% of them ,resulted in the controller signing off and it's back to Unicomm.

Now the question I have about pilotedge is this, I like to fly IFR, but the aircraft I use does not have an FMC, just VOR, GPS and ADF. I like Vatsim because they will almost always give you a vector out of the departing airport to your flight plan path, and incoming flights will be vectored to the ILS or VOR approach. I almost never use a Sid or star anymore, although I did when flying FMC equipped aircraft. Now I am wondering, is this way of flying acceptable in Pilotedge, or must the pilot utilize sids and stars when IFR?

The second question is, just general GA aircraft flying, is the Western division better, than the ZLA area for this type of flying. Navigating around very complex airspace is something I am not really into anymore.
Licensed Pilot since 1978
P3D Version 3.4
A2A Aircraft
Dean33

Re: Several question from a possible newbie

Post by Dean33 »

That’s exactly why I hate VATSIM.
Pilotedge just never does that and I flown on here for nearly 2 years now.

I let others answer your first question although I would’ve thought the GTN 750 would deal with everything for you depending on which platform you fly on.

The western expansion area is great and nice and quieter to fly around VFR (or IFR).

However, despite your considerable real world experience I would’ve thought it would be useful (and a lot of fun) to work through the CAT ratings and IFR ratings and those all take place in the SoCal area.
Dean33

UK P3DV4 Simmer
Pilotedge - I11, CAT11, A-Z (ZLA), A-Z (WUS)

Gigabyte P57v7 CF2 17.3" laptop. Kaby Lake i7 7700HQ CPU (average 3.4mhz). GTX 1070 8mb, 16 GB of DDR4-2400 RAM, SSD Samsung 970 Evo 500GB M.2 NVMe, 1TB HDD 7200.
dvlourie

Post by dvlourie »

bobsk8,

I agree that the Cat Ratings are a great way to get the feel of Pilotedge. I too am a real world pilot and use PE to keep fresh when the weather or time does not allow for a flight in the real world. I have not yet upgraded to the western region, but I can tell that it will happen very soon. ZLA is just so full of great places to explore. Also, flying VFR is very popular on the network. You can make the flight as complex or simple as you want. Keith and the crew are just terrific with their guidance and patience. Watch the Youtube videos along with the Pilot Training Workshops. Have fun, be safe and welcome aboard!
zerofay32

Post by zerofay32 »

To your first question, you will be given a SID or STAR if it is appropriate to the airport/route you are flying. Being slant A or U or G makes no difference. As in the real world you can always put "NO SID" or "NO STAR" is the remarks of your flightplan if you really don't want to be assigned one. PE can vector you to final or you can request the full approach, just as you do in the real NAS.

To your second question, it's a bit of personal preference. ZLA is full coverage top to bottom. Other than some military fields, if the airport is controlled RW then it is controlled on PE. With the Western US, while they are adding airports all the time, not all controlled airports/TRACONs are simulated currently. That's something you have to keep in mind when flying GA in the WUS. As the others have said, ZLA has the CAT and I Ratings program which are a lot of fun and can help getting you comfortable in ZLAs airspaces. Word around the hanger is that a similar/comparable program is in the works for WUS. Also note that the 'ZLA only' and 'WUS only' subscriptions can be swapped with each other from time to time (within reason) even for annual members.

Hope this info helps.
Andrew Fay
PilotEdge V-3; CAT-11; I-11; Skyhigh 10
Commercial Pilot/Instrument ASEL/AMEL- KOSU / Commercial sUAS
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Also note that the 'ZLA only' and 'WUS only' subscriptions can be swapped with each other from time to time (within reason) even for annual members.
Swapping from ZLA only to WUS only (or vice versa) happens at the end of the billing cycle. You can upgrade instantly to a combo subscription, though.
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Now the question I have about pilotedge is this, I like to fly IFR, but the aircraft I use does not have an FMC, just VOR, GPS and ADF. I like Vatsim because they will almost always give you a vector out of the departing airport to your flight plan path, and incoming flights will be vectored to the ILS or VOR approach. I almost never use a Sid or star anymore, although I did when flying FMC equipped aircraft. Now I am wondering, is this way of flying acceptable in Pilotedge, or must the pilot utilize sids and stars when IFR?
SIDs and STARs do not require an FMC. If you're uncomfortable flying SIDs using VOR only, it's likely to be a training/technique issue, or an unwillingness to learn. Putting "NO SID" in the remarks of a flight plan used to be acceptable because approach plates and SIDs were in separate publications. Therefore, it was quite possible to fly IFR without having the SIDs on board. At this point, though, everyone has access to all the charts, so the only time it's reasonable to reject a SID is because you can't meet a required climb gradient on the chart.

Having the controller vector you as a special, one-off case is not a concept that scales, and defeats the entire purpose of why SIDs were created from the outset. Don't worry, they're easy to learn, fun to fly, and a lot more predictable than vectors. You'll know what you're getting into from wheels up all the way until reaching the enroute structure. They're a GOOD thing.
The second question is, just general GA aircraft flying, is the Western division better, than the ZLA area for this type of flying. Navigating around very complex airspace is something I am not really into anymore.
I would recommend looking at a sectional chart of the ZLA area, take note of the airspace and towered airports....then do the same for Western US. Take your time, look carefully. Plan out some flights and then see which of the two are more appealing. My guess is WUS will be the better option for you as it offers more diverse terrain, and much wider expanse of the country, plenty of towered and non-towered airports to keep you busy, etc. Keep in mind, it's growing to the same number of towered airports as ZLA.

You're in the right place. Don't be too lazy with your IFR flying...it isn't any harder to fly here than the real world, but it isn't any easier, either. The procedures are the same and the controlling is the same. Controller tolerance for errors is slightly better than real world, but not to the point where you can just show up and do whatever floats your boat as an IFR aircraft :)
bobsk8

Post by bobsk8 »

Decided to Join Pilotedge. and selected the Western region. Thanks for the tips.
P3D Version 3.4
A2A Aircraft
bobsk8

Post by bobsk8 »

On my fifth IFR flight on PE. I love it and learning a great deal. Controllers are excellent. :D
P3D Version 3.4
A2A Aircraft