IFR from uncontrolled field.

bobsk8

IFR from uncontrolled field.

Post by bobsk8 »

I'm a newbie and the IFR flights I have done so far in the Western region, I departed from a controlled field so this was simple. My question is, if departing from an uncontrolled field, do I submit a flight plan prior to taking off? After taking off, I suppose I should contact the ARTCC center that airport is in for IFR clearance , but seem to be confused as how to find the correct frequency that PE would be on. For instance, I looked at the Klamath Falls sectional , and see several Seattle Center Frequencies listed. How do I determine which one is the one PE would be monitoring? .
Licensed Pilot since 1978
P3D Version 3.4
A2A Aircraft
Kevin_atc

Re: IFR from uncontrolled field.

Post by Kevin_atc »

It’s the same as the real world. You need to locate the correct center or approach frequency that covers that area. These can be found in numerous publications, sectionals or the low enroute charts. As far as locating the proper frequency, if you don’t get it right the first time, that controller should give you the correct frequency based on your location and altitude so just pick one you think might be right and try it.
Kevin
PilotEdge Marketing
Want faster answers to your forum questions? Join our Discord community: www.pilotedge.net/discord
kullery

Post by kullery »

Or use this to find the nearest Center frequency

http://www.myflightroute.com/artcc.php
Ken Ullery - PPL-SEL, 1G5
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

bobsk8, you would file a flight plan prior to your flight. You can call the overlying center to receive your IFR clearance (similar to the procedure used at airports which have an RCO that provides communication with the center while on the ground). At airports which don't have such a facility, you would normally call on the phone, but since we don't have that capability, we have made the radio transmitters strong enough that you should be able to pick up the center at the majority of non-towered airports within Western US.

Ken's utility is fantastic, and very convenient. Just know that the ability to look up a center frequency is an important skill, particularly if you're VFR and are looking to pick up flight following. In the real world, you can use low enroute charts to find center freqs, or use the approach plate for the nearest airport which has instrument approaches to see which Center/Approach frequency is listed. Additionally, nav databases such as the one that drives a Garmin 430/530/650/750/1000 also contain the nearest ARTCC frequency for each airport.
bobsk8

Post by bobsk8 »

Thanks everyone. That helps.
Licensed Pilot since 1978
P3D Version 3.4
A2A Aircraft