Flying a SID question

bobsk8

Flying a SID question

Post by bobsk8 »

Still confused about departing an airport with a SID. If the SID specifies a heading from the airport, and then a turn to another heading at a certain altitude, say 5000 ft, does the pilot automatically make that turn at 5000, or does the pilot wait for ATC to direct the turn from the original heading given after takeoff?
Licensed Pilot since 1978
P3D Version 3.4
A2A Aircraft
gsuoumu

Re: Flying a SID question

Post by gsuoumu »

bobsk8 wrote:Still confused about departing an airport with a SID. If the SID specifies a heading from the airport, and then a turn to another heading at a certain altitude, say 5000 ft, does the pilot automatically make that turn at 5000, or does the pilot wait for ATC to direct the turn from the original heading given after takeoff?
I'm not an expert by any stretch, but this one I'm pretty sure I know.

It's all about your departure instructions. If you're told to depart via the SID, as soon as you get to 5000 you make the turn automatically. Because you were told to follow the SID, the controller doesn't have to tell you to make that turn - it's implied via the departure clearance.

If your departure instructions were to maintain runway heading, or something like "Depart via SID except maintain runway heading, vectors to ...." then you maintain runway heading until advised differently.
Last edited by gsuoumu on Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
Marcus Becker

Post by Marcus Becker »

You have to read page two if there is one. Even if there isn't, you have to read the "Route Description" or you are only getting half the picture. The route description will tell you exactly what to do 100% of the time.

Have a look at KVNY chart of the ADAMM SID. Everything is spelled out on one page so it should be easy to see both the lateral and route descriptions. Reading the route description for RWY 16R, "Climb on heading 163°, cross FIM R-102 or VNY 2.2 DME at or below 1700. Then climbing left turn heading 113°, thence expect RADAR vectors to VNY R-095 to ADAMM INT or filed/assigned route." There should be absolutely no confusion as to your responsibility as the PIC in operating this procedure.

Compare that to the SLC4 SID. The route description for RWY 17, ": Climb heading 163° or as assigned, maintain 10000 or assigned lower altitude. Thence expect vectors to assigned route or fix." If ATC doesn't give you a heading, you fly hdg 163 until you are given a vector. Still, there should be no confusion as to your responsibility as it's spelled out in the description.

Hope that helps.
bobsk8

Post by bobsk8 »

Thanks for the input, just wanted to make sure my thinking was OK.
P3D Version 3.4
A2A Aircraft
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

The best way to think of the instructions on the SID are to imagine that the clearance delivery controller literally issued a clearance that mirrored the textual instruction to the letter. So, now the question becomes, "the clearance delivery guy issued a clearance which told me to fly a heading until an altitude, then another heading after that. So, when I get in the air, do I do that, or do I wait to be told a second time to make the turn?"

Phrased that way, the answer seems more obvious. The takeaway is that the instructions on the SID are binding exactly as they're published. There's no need to be prodded by ATC again, they've already said it once by issuing the SID.
bobsk8

Post by bobsk8 »

I have about 20+ hours on Pilot edge and every time I fly I learn a couple of things. Luckily I have been watching the workshop videos on IFR and that is keeping my head above water ( barely) Just now I did an obstacle departure from KFMN, and just learned about that last night with the IFR on route video. I think I have learned more in the past week or so, than I have learned in the last few years of simming.
P3D Version 3.4
A2A Aircraft
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

You might want to go through the I-ratings. They introduce a ton of important concepts, one step a time with supporting material.