Probably my mistake re Controlled uncontrolled western expan

pkofman

Probably my mistake re Controlled uncontrolled western expan

Post by pkofman »

Last night I did a flight from KJAC to KCPR
Both required communication with ctaf,
I received my ifr clearance from SLC- centre

I suppose that is the way the western expansion is set up because on the site "myflightroute" and in foreflight ( my iPad app of choice ) there is both a tower and ground frequency
So instead of calling up the ctaf I tried to communicate with the tower
eg. I was unable to get tower or ground or atis at kjac and slc-c sent me to the ctaf at kcpr not tower.

So I deduce that we go by the western expansion framework on "pilot edge " and not what I see in the plate and other references on-line.

I have no issue with this because it helps me work on ifr departures and arrivals from uncontrolled airports.
Just want to make sure im not doing something wrong

Is my assumption correct?
Thank you
Peter
Peter Kofman
Real World Pilot
1000hrs
VFR VFROTT IFR
Canadian Pilot
Night and Water./FLOATS AMPHIB..
Mooney BRAVO TLS M20M
Keith Smith

Re: Probably my mistake re Controlled uncontrolled western e

Post by Keith Smith »

Peter,

Since you're a r/w pilot the simplest way to handle this is to imagine that it's 3am when you're doing the flight, hence JAC tower is closed. At that point, it's a non-towered airport, so pick up your clearance with the overlying center, get your IFR release, then swap to the CTAF (not ground), which would be the tower freq, and self announce as you would in real life.

Put simply, ATC is not reachable on the tower/ground freq at ANY airports if they're not listed on our coverage pages.