Call final controlled airport

belashi

Call final controlled airport

Post by belashi »

Hi guys,
First time here, I'm loving the system. I didn't find anything about this, so if this is a repeated question, say to me.
I was doing circuits on a controlled aiport and in all the laps the controller was saying "clear for the option" on base, he didn't request to report any leg. But on the 4rth lap I turned final and he didn't say anything until that moment, my doubt is if on this case I need to report anything, and if yes what basically I need to say?

Ty guys, and sorry about my english. :)
Keith Smith

Re: Call final controlled airport

Post by Keith Smith »

It's not legal to land without a clearance, so if you're on the base leg without any clearance, or expectation of receiving one very shortly, I would prompt the controller by pointing out that you're on the base leg. I wouldn't wait until turning final.

This happens more frequently on PE than in the r/w as our controllers are working an enormous number of towered airports at the same time (as well as other roles in many cases), whereas a real world tower controller is truly focused on that airport alone.
belashi

Post by belashi »

Yeah, indeed he was very busy.
I was in doubt because I didn't know if I need to assume a go-around or I need to take the iniciative myself and calling.

If I am on base and I don't have space to speak on frequency and passing the final point, what is the correct procedure?

Ty!
Ryan B

Post by Ryan B »

belashi wrote:Yeah, indeed he was very busy.
I was in doubt because I didn't know if I need to assume a go-around or I need to take the iniciative myself and calling.

If I am on base and I don't have space to speak on frequency and passing the final point, what is the correct procedure?

Ty!
Go around
PE ID: 29
FAA ATCS
FAA PPL ASEL
belashi

Post by belashi »

Thanks guys for help!
Matthias Geiss

Post by Matthias Geiss »

I'm curious about the best go around procedure depending on your position in the pattern?

I guess when being on final, you would just climb back to pattern altitude and turn crosswind asap to join the pattern and stay clear of runway heading.
But what if I'm on the base leg and didn't get cleared when arriving at my turn-to-final point. Should I turn final nonetheless and then go around as assumed above?
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

You don't have to fall on your sword by initiating a go-around while still on base, or while still at 500' AGL on final. The FAR states that you may not land without a clearance. As long as you get a landing clearance before touching down, you're ok. However, if you can't get a word in and you're on short final, then go around at that point.

Don't worry about turning xwind early or doing anything different in terms of the geometry of the pattern.
Matthias Geiss

Post by Matthias Geiss »

Thanks Keith!
Ryan B

Post by Ryan B »

Keith Smith wrote:You don't have to fall on your sword by initiating a go-around while still on base, or while still at 500' AGL on final. The FAR states that you may not land without a clearance. As long as you get a landing clearance before touching down, you're ok. However, if you can't get a word in and you're on short final, then go around at that point.

Don't worry about turning xwind early or doing anything different in terms of the geometry of the pattern.
I agree! Sorry if my post showed otherwise. I once worked a bonanza who decided it was a good idea to go around and do a freaking 360 right on final!! That worked SO well with a global jet right behind him! Not a good situation. :cry:
PE ID: 29
FAA ATCS
FAA PPL ASEL
CaptainBoeing

Post by CaptainBoeing »

If I could ask a follow-up question on this regarding a go around for a visual approach. Sorry if this seems basic, but if you are cleared visual approach what is the "Go-Around" procedure? When doing an IFR approach it is very clearly spelled out on the plate. However, there are no plates for most visual approaches. If you are doing a pattern approach do you simply pull up and fly the pattern again? Or is it spelled out someplace for the particular airport? Perhaps the controller will assign you where to go? Just curious, I have yet to have this happen VFR.

Thanks
Ken