Approach plate question

CaptainBoeing

Approach plate question

Post by CaptainBoeing »

Just had a question about the RNAV approach plate of KKNAB below. Is the holding pattern depicted mandatory? Or if I arrive directly to DEDKE already at 8200' am I clear to proceed with the approach? I have seen other such approaches with similar holds, I never know if I need to complete the pattern of if I can proceed without doing it. How do I know if it is mandatory?

Thanks
Ken
tmpE5JBw8.jpg
tmpE5JBw8.jpg (150.66 KiB) Viewed 2868 times
Keith Smith

Re: Approach plate question

Post by Keith Smith »

The workshops on approaches cover this topic in detail. There are a specific list of conditions under which the HILPT (hold in lieu of procedure turn) is not required to be flown. These include:
- if established on a segment marked "NoPT"
- if timed approaches are in use (super rare)
- if receiving vectors to the final approach course
- if cleared for a straight-in approach by ATC as part of the approach clearance

It's not a subjective thing based on, "well, I'm pretty much aligned and the altitude looks good, so I'll just skip the hold."

So, the answer to the question as to whether you should fly the hold is based on whether you meet any of the exceptions listed above. If not, then yes, the hold is mandatory.
Z06z33

Post by Z06z33 »

To put it simply yes you need to fly the hold. It will be depicted on the chart if you dont usually it's because your arriving from a certain feeder fix.
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

That's too simple and misses the cases listed above, such as vectors to final, or the case where you might be cleared for a straight-in approach by ATC.

If you do fly this approach from the feeder, you would fly the hold.
CaptainBoeing

Post by CaptainBoeing »

Keith,

You are simply amazing! Not only did you handle ALL of my ATC tonight from KKNB to KLGB (clearance, center, approach and tower),you also found time somehow to answer my question.

Thanks for great ATC tonight and for answering my question!

Ken- Eclipse N5WD
rtataryn

Post by rtataryn »

AIM 5-4-9 (a)

;)
Rod
PPL, Instrument, ASEL, ASES
2013 Cirrus SR22T N877MS
2018 Icon A5 N509BA
1946 Piper J3 Cub N7121H
1942 Stearman N2S N6848