TARGY One Departure KWYS

Kilstorm

TARGY One Departure KWYS

Post by Kilstorm »

https://skyvector.com/files/tpp/1712/pdf/00632TARGY.PDF

So KWYS is an uncontrolled field. So my first question about this departure procedure is would a pilot file it as part of their flight plan? Usually when I do my FP on Skyvector it add the departure name in my FP string but when I put LO or Targy into my FP it didnt. Another weird thing to me is that there is a "W" on the LO which is the NDB. Where does the W come from? There is an intersection or waypoint Targy and the NDB identifier is LO but does LOW or the W have any meaning?

My FP from KWYS to KIDA last night was SABAT V365 IDA. I flew the Targy One Departure since I departed rwy 19 so it was basically straight out but should I of listed it or can the controller not accept it as part of the plan? If I did include it would it of looked like this LOW1.LOW SABAT V365 IDA? Because there is no fix named LOW in that area but that is how it is listed on the plate. Just trying to get a better idea of what that is all about.
Nathan Palmer
Nantucket, MA
rtataryn

Re: TARGY One Departure KWYS

Post by rtataryn »

So my first question about this departure procedure is would a pilot file it as part of their flight plan?
Most ODPs are textual and can't be filed in your flight plan (although I personally still enter "will depart (airport) runway via textual ODP" in my FP notes), but some of the more complex ODP's may get a graphic procedure published with an abbreviation - like this one. So, because this ODP is in graphical format, YES, it can be filed in your flight plan. And if you plan on flying it, then you should file the abbreviation. If you don't file it, it will likely be given to you anyway in your IFR clearance, unless you specifically state "No DP" in your flight plan notes. Under Part 91 you have no requirement to accept and fly an ODP (but are strongly encouraged AIM 5-2-8); you can take full responsibility for obstruction clearance yourself. But if you accept it in your clearance, you are required to fly it.
Another weird thing to me is that there is a "W" on the LO which is the NDB. Where does the W come from? There is an intersection or waypoint Targy and the NDB identifier is LO but does LOW or the W have any meaning?
Most NDB's have three letter identifiers, except when they are combined with an outer marker to make a Locator Outer Marker (LOM) as part of an ILS approach. When used as a LOM, the NDB is identified by a two-letter Morse code using the first two letters of the parent ILS's identifier. In this case I-LOW. Take a look at the ILS RWY 1 approach; The localizer that uses LO as the LOM is I-LOW. So, that is where LO comes from to name the NDB, and where the W comes from in the ODP LOW1.LOW.
If I did include it would it of looked like this LOW1.LOW SABAT V365 IDA? Because there is no fix named LOW in that area but that is how it is listed on the plate. Just trying to get a better idea of what that is all about.
Yes, that is how you should write it to file. Perfect. Correct, there is no fix named LOW, but I'm guessing that the system requires at least 3 letters in the DP abbreviations. Just guessing on that though - because I've never seen one with less than three. Of course the RNAV DP's all have five. BTW, all RNAV dependent ODP's are always published as graphical procedures and thus can be filed.
Rod
PPL, Instrument, ASEL, ASES
2013 Cirrus SR22T N877MS
2018 Icon A5 N509BA
1946 Piper J3 Cub N7121H
1942 Stearman N2S N6848
Kilstorm

Re: TARGY One Departure KWYS

Post by Kilstorm »

Many thanks for this detailed reply...very informative and helpful.
Nathan Palmer
Nantucket, MA