X-Plane GPS

scottcame

X-Plane GPS

Post by scottcame »

So if I am really going to use X-Plane and PE to support IFR training (rather than *just* for fun)...I really need to find a decent way to simulate the Garmin 430 that is in the real-world 172 I fly. Flying a GPS approach without being able to select the approach and have the GPS switch to the next segment is a non-starter if my goal is to fly in the real world with a 430.

I see there are several options:

1. The built-in 430...not really an option, unless I'm missing something
2. The Garmin trainer plus RealityXP (http://www.reality-xp.com/flightsim/gns ... index.html)...downsides are that it uses the (very outdated) database in the trainer, and runs only on Windows...so not really an option for me
3. SimAvio (http://flythissim.com/FTS430.aspx)...probably the best option, but still requires the base software to run on Windows, and a little pricey (plus requires $9 per month to keep the database current)

None of these seem like really great options.

Are there other GPS instruments for X-Plane that I could add to my panel that are close enough to the 430 to help with practice, but better than any of the above options? (I'm not really interested in the built-in FMS, since it really doesn't get close to flying an approach with the 430...)

Anyone else simulating the Garmin 430 or 530? If so what do you use?

--Scott (N118SC C172 / N400SC COL4)
Scott Came
P/E: N118SC (C172) or N400SC (COL4)
R/W: Private Pilot, ASEL, KOLM (Olympia, Washington, USA)
DrZGard

Re: X-Plane GPS

Post by DrZGard »

The Reality XP solution is the only one that will act like the real world GNS430/530. If you also download the trainer for the GTN650/750 and follow the instructions posted at the Simforum's RXP support site you can update to the June 2011 database utilized by that trainer. A link to that post is here: http://www.simforums.com/forums/nav-dat ... 39731.html
Regards,
Dr. Zane Gard
ASEL IFR

AOPA #00915027
EAA #825848
American Mensa #100314888
scottcame

Post by scottcame »

Thanks, I'll give that a try.
Scott Came
P/E: N118SC (C172) or N400SC (COL4)
R/W: Private Pilot, ASEL, KOLM (Olympia, Washington, USA)
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Hi Scott,

My aircraft has a Garmin 420 in it (like a 430, only crippled by having the NAV removed). I became fluent with the 420 by using the standalone Garmin trainer outside of the sim.

Believe it or not, I still find the sim beneficial, even though I don't have a 420 in the system. Once you have the process down of entering flight plans, modifying flight plans and loading approaches, at the end of the day what you're doing is tracking a course. Whether that course comes from a VOR, a localizer or the GPS, the concepts are almost identical.

For that reason, I haven't bent over backwards to integrate a 430 into my simulated environment because it's not really a skill that I need to practice. The standalone trainer and manual were excellent for practicing the basics, but it's not something I have to use over and over in the sim.

If you're having trouble getting one going (I'm sure being on the Mac is a little restrictive due to the lack of support from software vendors), I wouldn't sweat it too much. A course is a course is a course :)

Keith
DrZGard

Post by DrZGard »

I'll echo Keith's comments here as well. While it's really cool to have that Garmin in the real aircraft and in the sim it all really comes down to pilot skills coupled with navigating and interacting with ATC... all at the same time! Just getting onto the sim and using Pilotedge with 2 Nav radios will be so helpful for building up those skill sets.
Regards,
Dr. Zane Gard
ASEL IFR

AOPA #00915027
EAA #825848
American Mensa #100314888
steve.huff

Post by steve.huff »

I use Reality XP gps in X-plane and it is by far the best gps sim. I use it with a PFC 430 control head and
managed to learn how to use gps waas. Plus, if you access the plug-in, you can select either 430 or 530
the PFC 430 control head will control either one.
arb65912

Post by arb65912 »

I have Reality XP GPS in simulator but following Keith's advise, I am trying not to use it.

As a very fresh student pilot, I need to concentrate on basic navigation instruments ( 2 VOR receivers and ADF ) and fly VFR for the most of time on PE.

Today, weather was IMC ( I set it to real weather in X-Plane) so I flew IFR and ..... I forgot tpo cancel my flight plan.

At the beginning of next flight ( VFR ) I was contacted by the controller and reminded of canceling IFR flight plan.
Can you beat that ????
I was very impressed and grateful for that ... this is why PE is the best for real learning how to properly fly. :D

Clapping hands for all PE crew.

Cheers, AJ
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

AJ,

This document will help explain why the cancellation is needed: http://training.pilotedge.net/object/no ... tions.html

It's often much easier to understand why something is needed rather than simply trying to remember to do it :)

To the original topic, if your goal is to become intimately familiar with the Garmin unit, then it's certainly easier to do it in the sim than any other environment, but if you can't swing it, don't sweat it.
arb65912

Post by arb65912 »

Thank you tons, Keith.

Excellent source, I have read it , I saved the link and I saved it as a file also for further reading again.

I will start learning Garmin after I get more comfortable with VFR flights.

Cheers, AJ
Simon Ambrose

Post by Simon Ambrose »

arb65912 wrote:I have Reality XP GPS in simulator but following Keith's advise, I am trying not to use it.

As a very fresh student pilot, I need to concentrate on basic navigation instruments ( 2 VOR receivers and ADF ) and fly VFR for the most of time on PE.

Today, weather was IMC ( I set it to real weather in X-Plane) so I flew IFR and ..... I forgot tpo cancel my flight plan.

At the beginning of next flight ( VFR ) I was contacted by the controller and reminded of canceling IFR flight plan.
Can you beat that ????
I was very impressed and grateful for that ... this is why PE is the best for real learning how to properly fly. :D

Clapping hands for all PE crew.

Cheers, AJ
SORRY -- this is going to be a long reply, and maybe only of interest to Keith -- but here goes :-

Here in the US, we can have the following situations :

1. On an IFR flight plan, when you land, the tower closes the flight plan once you have landed, assuming you are going into a towered airport.

2. If you are landing at a untowered airport, (which may have an ILS, VOR etc approach), approach control will say bye bye and let you go to local advisory frequency at a safe distance from the airport, and you are on your own.
In this case ...

a) You can stay IFR and call from the ground once you have landed to close your flight plan. Approach usually remind you to call prior to switching you ... your cue to do ...

b) You can cancel IFR (closing your flight plan) whilst still talking to approach, in which case you are probably in non-Bravo/Charlie airspace. You are then under VFR rules.
===
So typically, when you land and are still under IFR rules, there is no need for you to take any action to close your IFR flight plan. The Real World system takes care of that ... the process of landing, triggers the controllers and the system to take care of it for you.

VFR Flight plans work differently, and are not part of the same system as IFR plans.
You are responsible for both OPENING, and then later closing your VFR flight plan.
If you land at a towered field, you can typically request the controller to close your plan for you, otherwise, you have to do it by phone (or computer), once you have landed. You can of course, also close it in the air, over the radio, before you land.

So, what is happening in PE ? Why, when starting a new VFR flight, would a controller remind the pilot to cancel his previous IFR flight plan. By definition, that old IFR flight plan was , or should have been "out of the system", and its status of no concern to the pilot. If it was not, (because it had not been closed, for whatever reason), then would not the controller just take care of it, without needing to bring it to the pilots attention.

While I may be totally off base with this -- if not, should some thought be given to ensuring that the PE "system", be it software or Human ATC procedures, simulate this closing treatment of IFR flight plans, as they are treated in the real world. ?

Simon