Tail number etiquette

Kilstorm

Tail number etiquette

Post by Kilstorm »

If I am not planning on flying IFR but as a Part 135 operator, can I sign on to PilotEdge with the planes tail number and still use a flight number as a call sign? I remember working for Cape Air out of Nantucket where the pilot would fly Part 91 on a repo flight and 135 on a passenger paying flight. If the pilot was flying Part 135 they would use their Cair number. A pilot ID number and not the flight number to talk to ATC. If it was a repo flight and they were flying Part 91 they would use the tail number.

So in Colorado I like to operate a Twin Otter for Rocky Mountain Airways. If I plan on doing a VFR flight can I sign on to PE with the planes tail number and still use my Rocky Mountain 24 callsign as it would be in the real world? I get for IFR flights one would need to sign on with the Flight number callsign since it would be for radar services reason but if I am just looking for non radar clearances how would that work? I get the PE ATC use complete radar and not looking out of the control tower window for local traffic so no sure the answer to if its okay etiquette to favor more real world procedures due to limitations of PE doesnt work that way.
Nathan Palmer
Nantucket, MA
Kevin_atc

Re: Tail number etiquette

Post by Kevin_atc »

Sign on with whatever callsign you are going to use on the radios. Don’t let IFR/VFR change anything.
Kevin
PilotEdge Marketing
Want faster answers to your forum questions? Join our Discord community: www.pilotedge.net/discord