Pop up IFR clearance

sidfadc

Pop up IFR clearance

Post by sidfadc »

Hi guys

Quick question...I'm flying VFR the weather closes in fast and my only option is IFR. Can I just call ATC and request an IFR clearance to Kxxx without actually filing a flight plan? I've always wondered what the etiquette is for this procedure. Last thing I want to do with the weather closing in is start planning a flight so assume I can just call ATC and let them know I would like IFR to destination because of weather.

Thanks
Sid
Kevin_atc

Re: Pop up IFR clearance

Post by Kevin_atc »

For the purposes of pilotedge, yes- you can just request IFR from ATC without having anything filed.

In the RW, ATC should verify you have a flight plan on file for search and rescue purposes. If you don’t already have a VFR plan on file, ATC will likely have you call FSS and file one, or ATC may take the information over the frequency if they are slow.

As far as route planning, you can expect fairly simple routes when you pick up IFR in the air. You’ll likely get direct to your destination unless you are flying into a busy area.
Kevin
PilotEdge Marketing
Want faster answers to your forum questions? Join our Discord community: www.pilotedge.net/discord
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Kevin,

Years ago, that was true, I'd frequently have ATC ask for name and phone number for the tapes but I haven't had that happen at all in recent years, in a wide range of airspace. Instead, I'm just cleared to the destination, direct (this is usually within close proximity of the destination when I have to descend through a layer while flying VFR over the top).
sidfadc

Post by sidfadc »

ok thanks guys!
Kevin_atc

Post by Kevin_atc »

Keith Smith wrote:Kevin,

Years ago, that was true, I'd frequently have ATC ask for name and phone number for the tapes but I haven't had that happen at all in recent years, in a wide range of airspace. Instead, I'm just cleared to the destination, direct (this is usually within close proximity of the destination when I have to descend through a layer while flying VFR over the top).
That’s interesting. It may vary from region to region then because it certainly happens in Texas. Harold Rutila just recently had an instance where he wanted IFR just to punch through a small layer and then he was planning to cancel but ATC wouldn’t give it to him without having him go talk to FSS first.
Kevin
PilotEdge Marketing
Want faster answers to your forum questions? Join our Discord community: www.pilotedge.net/discord
Ryan B

Post by Ryan B »

Definitely area dependent.

Waaay up here if I guy wants popup IFR I will inform them if I put a FP in it will NOT have search and rescue info. Most pilots go for it but some will go to FSS and come back.
PE ID: 29
FAA ATCS
FAA PPL ASEL
Kevin_atc

Post by Kevin_atc »

Ryan B wrote:Definitely area dependent.

Waaay up here if I guy wants popup IFR I will inform them if I put a FP in it will NOT have search and rescue info. Most pilots go for it but some will go to FSS and come back.
Interesting!
Kevin
PilotEdge Marketing
HRutila

Post by HRutila »

I had thought the same, but ZFW has made me call FSS multiple times in the last several months. The TRACONs around here don't seem to care at all, but when it comes to flying in Ft. Worth Center airspace, they are sticklers about it. That said, I have not had the same experience in other centers.
Harold Rutila
COMM-MEL/CFII
HRutila

Post by HRutila »

kevin meyers wrote:

That’s interesting. It may vary from region to region then because it certainly happens in Texas. Harold Rutila just recently had an instance where he wanted IFR just to punch through a small layer and then he was planning to cancel but ATC wouldn’t give it to him without having him go talk to FSS first.
Accurate!
Harold Rutila
COMM-MEL/CFII
rtataryn

Post by rtataryn »

HRutila wrote:
kevin meyers wrote:
Keith Smith wrote:
Harold Rutila just recently had an instance where he wanted IFR just to punch through a small layer and then he was planning to cancel but ATC wouldn’t give it to him without having him go talk to FSS first.
Accurate!
Wow. Interesting. Up here in the weather-stricken mountain northwest I've never had the request for a pop-up IFR denied. Nor have I ever heard of that happening to anyone. I can certainly see the potential for problems that may occur from that policy, especially up here.
Rod
PPL, Instrument, ASEL, ASES
2013 Cirrus SR22T N877MS
2018 Icon A5 N509BA
1946 Piper J3 Cub N7121H
1942 Stearman N2S N6848