Coming back online "in-flight" after sim crash

Heigo

Coming back online "in-flight" after sim crash

Post by Heigo »

Hi everyone!

I have just started with pilotedge, currently operating jets but looking forward for VFR and (a2a) piston operations (pilotedge training videos in process). Seemed easier to start with jets since I have around 6500 hrs in offline and online on different other networks (mainly with jets), also finished ATC studies (but in Europe), but the FAA world is a bit different and socal airspace rather complicated.

Now the question is, if the sim crashes, but I have a save flight available with panel state etc, is it OK to connect "to a similar or same position" mid-flight 5-10 minutes later (as long as the sim takes to reboot)? I suspect that the achilles heel is 90GBs of blueskyscenery photoreal (causing different windows .dll crashes that are taking the entire prepar3d v4 with it). WIll investigate. So is it ok to "reconnect" around the same place/level some minutes later or shall the flight start from the ground?

Regards,
Heigo
Last edited by Heigo on Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
Kilstorm

Re: Coming back online "in-flight" after sim crash

Post by Kilstorm »

Welcome to PilotEdge and their forums. I am just a user here so I am sure your question will be answered shortly and correctly but I chimed in to give you so feedback I've noticed in the general aspect of your post. One thing that I greatly enjoy about PE is the level of professionalism and the way the controls provide an immersive and realistic environment. I've heard other pilots have this issue of reconnecting after something caused a disconnect or crash, something that happens in simming but not in real life flying. The controllers usually give a feel of non-issue as long as it doesnt happen in and around the airport like nearing approach etc. From time to time pilots also need to step away from the sim and ask to which they are asked to just let the controller know when they are back.

I use these scenarios to try and return to the radio with a simple check in like what a pilot would do after a hand off. Just simply state the Controller you are calling, Your callsign and your altitude. Example: "Seattle Center, N27FL Seven thousand fife hundred". Its a great way to say you are back without having to go into any story or reason of what happened and its an appropriate radio call to make.
Nathan Palmer
Nantucket, MA
Kevin_atc

Post by Kevin_atc »

Kilstorm wrote:
I use these scenarios to try and return to the radio with a simple check in like what a pilot would do after a hand off. Just simply state the Controller you are calling, Your callsign and your altitude. Example: "Seattle Center, N27FL Seven thousand fife hundred". Its a great way to say you are back without having to go into any story or reason of what happened and its an appropriate radio call to make.
A call like that could actually really confuse a controller- especially if they’re busy or if it is a different controller than the one working when you got disconnected. Although, Kilstrom makes a great point about the controller not needing to know (and not caring) about why you got disconnected or why you’re back. Just make it clear that you are back after a disconnect.

For reconnecting after a disconnect, I would say to never do it if you are on final to an airport. But if you are enroute, do everyone a favor and before you reconnect, check the PE online map just to be sure there is nobody near your position at your same altitude. If the area looks clear, go ahead and reconnect and just check in with your callsign, position, altitude and mention something about your situation.

“SoCal approach, N12345, back after a disconnect, 10 miles north of SMO at 7000.”
Kevin
PilotEdge Marketing
Want faster answers to your forum questions? Join our Discord community: www.pilotedge.net/discord
Kilstorm

Post by Kilstorm »

I've never made my above check in call after a crash, in a busy airspace or nearing any area where it was congested. Of the few times I had done it, it was after being away from the computer while in cruise for a under 5 minute task so the controller was still fresh on who I was as they had indicated to check back in. Wanting to avoid the "with you" call on return and using PE for only what would be done in the professional environment PE is known for, decided that was the best way to make use of a proper radio call that didnt break immersion.

I've overheard others come back after a crash and spend time talking about why or what happened using up airtime. I totally get the idea behind that because in a way you want the controller to know it wasn't pilot error but a computer error and out of respect for their efforts of what they had invested in the flight already kinda feel bad.

However, the replies from the controllers seemed to indicated a feeling of it happens and not to dwell on the past but how can I handle what you need going forward from here. Very much like in real life to where a pilot could land and then file a report etc on what they wanted to say, we could make a post here in the forums instead of talking about it over the radio.
Nathan Palmer
Nantucket, MA