Vectored but not cleared for approach

bdavidn

Vectored but not cleared for approach

Post by bdavidn »

Think I found my answer in the AIM (5-4-3 Approach Control), but just wanted to double check on here.

Was doing an IPC yesterday with an instructor I don't usually fly with. He was playing ATC and gave me the instruction, "Turn heading XXX, vectors for the ILS." So I turned to that heading and waited for an approach clearance or further instruction. Once the localizer started coming in, I was going to query him (ATC) since I was flying through it, but before I could he asked me why I wasn't turning on to the localizer. I replied that my last instruction from ATC was to turn to a heading, I was not cleared for the approach. He told me that if ATC uses the phrase, "vectors for the approach," they expect you to join the approach.

I accepted that since I was under the hood on an approach and there was a lot going on, knowing in my head that I don't believe this is what ATC would expect. Soooo wanted to check on here.

It is my understanding that ATC uses the vectors for the approach phrase because they must inform you why they are turning you off your filed route (traffic, vectors for the approach, etc), which is also used for lost comm situations. If I lost comms and the last instruction I received was a vector for the approach, I would have intercepted the localizer and flown the approach. I know that ATC could also instruct you to intercept the localizer without an approach clearance, but he never told me to make another turn or intercept the localizer.

Who's right?

-Bryan
rtataryn

Re: Vectored but not cleared for approach

Post by rtataryn »

You are.

Unless you were told to "intercept the localizer", or were "cleared for the approach", your expectation is to continue on the last heading given. You must not deviate from the heading given, regardless of the purpose for the vectors or ATC using the term "vectors for the approach". AIM 5-4-3. b. 1 (c)

A query from the pilot though is a good idea as mentioned in (b). But definitely don't make a turn unless specifically instructed.
Rod
PPL, Instrument, ASEL, ASES
2013 Cirrus SR22T N877MS
2018 Icon A5 N509BA
1946 Piper J3 Cub N7121H
1942 Stearman N2S N6848
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

The instructor was mistaken. This happens frequently when pilots/instructors attempt to play the role of ATC without formal training. In this case, negative training took place.

You were 100% correct, you were given a heading and REASON for the vector. Had he said, "fly heading 100, intercept the localizer." or "join the localizer," that would be different (although it would STILL not be an approach clearance, it would be for LATERAL guidance only). However, since he only gave a REASON for the vector (useful for lost comms only), you were correct to stay on the heading and then query the 'controller' if you were going to fly through the localizer.
bdavidn

Post by bdavidn »

Thank you Rod and Keith for confirming that for me.

Best,

Bryan New
Ryan B

Post by Ryan B »

I'm an ATC (in real life) and just to add from my perspective, you're correct.

If this was real world I'd expect you to ask me "verify I'm cleared for the approach" or "verify you want N12345 to intercept the localizer."
PE ID: 29
FAA ATCS
FAA PPL ASEL