Departing a Class D

norman99

Departing a Class D

Post by norman99 »

Hi everyone. I have a question about departing Class D airports. Whilst I’m familiar with Australian procedures, I’m not sure if FAA is different. I understand that at uncontrolled airports, it is recommended to depart upwind, or on a 45 degree crosswind. I’ve read the AIM but couldn’t find any specific advise for a Class D where you basically just follow the controller’s instructions.

I’ve come across the following scenario a couple times. Departing heading 090 from runway 36 with a left pattern, the controller states ‘East departure approved’. Are you expected to fly upwind till above pattern alt then turn right, fly upwind crosswind and downwind departing from midfield (270 degree turn in total), or simply make a right turn against the pattern direction to set course?

Thanks, Michael.
rtataryn

Re: Departing a Class D

Post by rtataryn »

Michael, the last one. Simply make a right turn against the pattern direction to set course. Make your right turn at the same altitude you would typically do a crosswind turn to the left (terrain allowing). I typically turn at 500 agl. Some choose 400. The AIM states that crosswind turns are required within 300 ft of pattern altitude. Get turned off of runway heading by then (well below pattern altitude) to allow for potential faster departures behind you to depart.
Rod
PPL, Instrument, ASEL, ASES
2013 Cirrus SR22T N877MS
2018 Icon A5 N509BA
1946 Piper J3 Cub N7121H
1942 Stearman N2S N6848
norman99

Re: Departing a Class D

Post by norman99 »

Thanks Rod, appreciate the quick reply. I'm always a little hesitant turning against the pattern at low altitude unless I'm sure its allowed, so that's good to know.