Tour of the LA Basin.

norman99

Tour of the LA Basin.

Post by norman99 »

Hi. I’ve just completed my Cat 11, and was looking for the next thing to do on PE. I’m really enjoying my MegaScenery Ultra Res LA, so thought I do a tour of the basin so to speak. The idea being that I’d do a touch’n’go at each field. Departing TOA and heading north, I came up with the following route.

I think I’d do it in something slow with no autopilot or GPS like a 172. I’d also probably break it into two flights, stopping at Banning. My question is whether this is a reasonable idea, or would it cause to much of a workload for the controller. My fear is I’ll be talking so much no one else will be able to get a word in and it’ll stuff others around too.

Secondly, would it be better to file a flight plan just so the controller knows what I’m doing, say TOA to BNG, listing the route and a note about TnGs at each field, or just call up for a VFR departure and go from there?

Thanks, Michael.
Keith Smith

Re: Tour of the LA Basin.

Post by Keith Smith »

Filing a VFR flight plan in an attempt to communicate your intentions would be negative training. Controllers don't see your flight plan in the real world, so if we had controllers magically know your intentions as a result of filing a VFR flight plan on PilotEdge, that would NOT be a good thing.

Yes, that flight will generate more radio calls per hour flight than almost any other operation, so make sure you do your best to be clear and concise with your calls. You don't need to tell the SNA controller that you're going to FUL, Compton, Long Beach, Torrance, etc. Simply tell them which airport you're heading for (in case in warrants an early freq change such as the LGB to TOA flight).
Ryan B

Post by Ryan B »

That and each time you finish a TG ask for an early swap to the next tower to stay ahead of things
PE ID: 29
FAA ATCS
FAA PPL ASEL
norman99

Post by norman99 »

Thanks for the advice guys. Looking at it a little more, I think I may change to full stop landings. It’ll break things up a little more and give the controller a rest from me, especially on the shorter legs. It probably means the whole trip will take a bit longer, so I might have to break it up into 3 or 4 flights instead.