controllers TCAS

FDXDave

controllers TCAS

Post by FDXDave »

So I'm curious about the audible TCAS alert sound i hear in the background.
I hear this alarm sound when a controller is warning a pilot of nearby traffic.
Is that sound authentic and reproduced for the controllers? or is the sound
One you just liked and went with it. Until i heard that alarm i was like
How on earth are these guys watching all these drones lol.
Cool feature.

Dave .
Kevin_atc

Re: controllers TCAS

Post by Kevin_atc »

The audible alarm, in the real world, only exists in the terminal environment (tower and TRACON). It is accompanied by the targets flashing and sounds quite similar to what you hear on PE. Center controllers, however, do not have an audible alarm. The center’s conflict alert only consists of flashing data tags.

Just like on PE, just because you hear the alarm doesn’t mean a loss of separation is occurring. The computer has no way of knowing which kind of separation is being used, so it will always assume the worst and just use the standard 3mi/1000ft or 5mi/1000ft. But, if visual separation or even target resolution (ensuing the targets don’t overlap when VFR aircraft are involved) is being used, the alarm will likely be going off even though separation is maintained.
Kevin
PilotEdge Marketing
Want faster answers to your forum questions? Join our Discord community: www.pilotedge.net/discord
FDXDave

Post by FDXDave »

Very interesting. Thank you for the information. Learn something new every day.
Makes sense the tracon & TWR would have it being a lot more congested airspace.
You guys must drink a ton of coffee In the real world. That is a lot of responsibility.
You guys probably had to mute the alarm on the KSLC take over lol.
Thanks,
Dave
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Listen to just about any liveatc.net recording of 127.60 in NY tracon on nice weekend day and you'll hear the alarm going off in a massive number of the transmissions. It's disconcerting for student pilots, but once you realize that the controllers are on top of it, you generally stop worrying about it as a pilot.

[Mod note: move to Pilot forum...that's a first. This wasn't a question regarding pilot client software]