long Distance Flight

long Distance Flight

Postby FDXDave » Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:15 am

Some of you are able to sit for 4 hours straight while doing a flight.
I've seen the youtube stream recordings. I physically can't sit at my computer
For more than roughly 2 hours without a break. So all my flights are roughly
200 miles or so for my airliners. So my air time is around 30-45 min. And my newly
Aquired Airbus 320 takes about an hour on the ground getting it set up for the flight.
So my question is if i wanted to utilize PE but on a longer flight. Say from PDX to SFO
( Almost 500 miles ) is it possible once I'm at cruise that i and the controller plan a "Check-In" location
Along the Route. Ie: select a WP close to my T/D and there i would check back in with the controller
and remain with them for the remainder of the flight? That would give me I'm guessing
Around a 30 min Break AFK. Or as a 2nd option, if you are required to be on the flight deck the entire
Time, are we allowed to sign off of PE then sign back on at around T/D. I know this method will
Require a new squawk code. But certainly people may expierece an internet drop then they just sign back
On while in the air. The latter suggestion though i do not think will log the entire flight on PEAware. If there is a solution available ill start planning
Some longer distance trips.
Thanks,
Dave
FDXDave

Re: long Distance Flight

Postby Marcus Becker » Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:31 am

I would say that both of those options are discouraged. Pilotedge strives to make as close to a real world experience as they can. Let me ask if you could make a 3rd option. Are you able to set up your flight up to push back and engine start and then take a 20-30 minute break? Your IFR clearance wouldn't go anywhere in that period of time. After your break, push back, start up, call ground for taxi and have yourself a flight.
Marcus Becker

Postby FDXDave » Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:58 am

Marcus Becker wrote:I would say that both of those options are discouraged. Pilotedge strives to make as close to a real world experience as they can. Let me ask if you could make a 3rd option. Are you able to set up your flight up to push back and engine start and then take a 20-30 minute break? Your IFR clearance wouldn't go anywhere in that period of time. After your break, push back, start up, call ground for taxi and have yourself a flight.

That's a good idea. Yep. I'll do that.
Thanks.
FDXDave

Postby Tim Krajcar » Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:37 pm

Marcus already covered most of it, but since you asked: if you disconnect, then later reconnect using the same callsign and resume your flight within 60 minutes, without filing a new flight plan, your flight on PEaware will be resumed as well. Obviously you won't have any location datapoints from where you were offline, but it won't create a new flight or toss the old one as long as there's less than 60 minutes of gap, and you use the same callsign and don't file a different fp.
Tim Krajcar
Live streams at http://twitch.tv/Tim_PE
View past flights on YouTube
Tim Krajcar

Postby FDXDave » Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:59 pm

Tim Krajcar wrote:Marcus already covered most of it, but since you asked: if you disconnect, then later reconnect using the same callsign and resume your flight within 60 minutes, without filing a new flight plan, your flight on PEaware will be resumed as well. Obviously you won't have any location datapoints from where you were offline, but it won't create a new flight or toss the old one as long as there's less than 60 minutes of gap, and you use the same callsign and don't file a different fp.

Thanks Tim. I didn't know about the time restraint. I'll keep that in mind.
Dave.
FDXDave

Postby Dean33 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:48 am

Another option once you’re at cruise altitude would be to ask controller for permission to use 2 times time acceleration until Top of Descent. My available simming time is often limited so flying at 2 times in the cruise can save quite a lot of idle time without causing too much loss of experience. Controllers rarely object.
Dean33

UK P3DV4 Simmer
Pilotedge - I11, CAT11, A-Z (ZLA),

Gigabyte P57v7 CF2 17.3" laptop. Kaby Lake i7 7700HQ CPU (averaging 3.4mhz). NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 8mb (laptop version), 16 GB of DDR4-2400 RAM, SSD - MTS800 256GB M.2, 1TB HDD 7200.
Dean33

Postby Marcus Becker » Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:51 am

Dean33 wrote:Another option once you’re at cruise altitude would be to ask controller for permission to use 2 times time acceleration until Top of Descent.

I have to say this is also discouraged. Controllers jobs are hard enough watching all that airspace alone adding this type of movement makes the airspace more unpredictable.
Marcus Becker

Return to Pilots