ABQ TRACON FREQs

Chris1690

ABQ TRACON FREQs

Post by Chris1690 »

Hi all, quick question regarding some freqs

I noticed that when approaching or departing ABQ the frequency assigned is 127.40. However, the frequency that gets used the most at KABQ is 123.9 for departures and arrivals regardless of the direction of flight. 127.40 only gets used when they get busy and need to spread the workload.
Is this not simulated in PE?

Thanks!
Keith Smith

Re: ABQ TRACON FREQs

Post by Keith Smith »

All the RNAV SIDS list 127.40 as the published dep freq. We do simulate 123.90 being part of ABQ tracon, so if you were to cold call on that freq, you would certainly reach the controller working ABQ tracon on PE.

We do assign 123.90 at ABQ for southbound departures when the airport is in a west configuration.
Chris1690

Post by Chris1690 »

Thanks for the reply!

I understand that 127.40 might be the "official" frequency for the TRACON, however, since flying out of ABQ for a living since last year, I've only been assigned 127.4 one time when the controllers were busy and they were splitting north and south departures and arrivals.

Is it possible that this might be a local procedure? if so, is there any plans in the near future to implement this "local procedures" into the network?
I know that since it is just me asking probably not a good chance, but I'd figured I tried, I do understand that it could be a pain for controllers to cater to a select few pilots asking for a local procedure only known to those who fly out of these airports constantly.

Thanks again
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Will discuss it internally at the next ops meeting and will let you know what we decide.
Peter Grey

Post by Peter Grey »

Hey Chris,

We looked at this.

We operate the ABQ TRACON assuming there are 2 separate controllers running North and South. This is why you see 127.4 in use a lot here as opposed to the real world (where traffic levels allow them to use only 1 controller).

From the information we have we are correct to the real world when ABQ is in a 2 controller configuration, it just ends up they don't use this configuration a lot. Hopefully this sorts out the question.
Peter Grey
PilotEdge Director of Quality Assurance and Operations
peter@pilotedge.net
Chris1690

Post by Chris1690 »

Peter and Keith,

Thank you much for looking into this. It does make sense from this perspective to use that freq instead of the one I've been used to. :D