When to establish com with ATC prior to making full request?

bdeweese

When to establish com with ATC prior to making full request?

Post by bdeweese »

I've been in the habit of announcing my full request upon initial contact with ATC, as that’s my understanding of how it should be done. In fact, on more than one occasion I've overheard ATC instruct a pilot to say their request all at once, so as to eliminate unnecessary calls. However, when flying the CAT 6 (all Class D airspace) I rattled off my initial request, including request for advisories, etc - pretty much right out of the CAT 6 transcript. Granted, it's quite a mouthful. ATC did not hear all of my call, and asked me to repeat it - no big deal. However, ATC also advised that in the future I should first announce myself and get ATC's attention, prior to the request, thus preventing needing to repeat the request.

So - Is there a rule of thumb as to when to first self announce vs when not? Is it simply a matter of making a decision based on the length or complexity of the request? I'm trying to develop good habits in PE that will transfer over to real world flying, and appreciate any input. Thanks!
Keith Smith

Re: When to establish com with ATC prior to making full requ

Post by Keith Smith »

The transcripts an example, but subtle nuances like the one your're mentioning weren't generally considered when writing them.

Cold calls for flight following are some of the longest that need to be made. Breaking it up isn't a bad idea, particularly given the nature of PE where other pilots on other freqs are not going to hear you. Hence, a quick, "Santa Barbara Approach, Skyhawk 123AB, request," is not a bad idea for two reasons. One, it lets ATC get your callsign in their head, and two, when ATC says, "Skyhawk 123AB, Santa Barbara approach, go ahead..." it's a signal to other pilots who are listening that a transaction is starting out and there isn't much point calling until it's complete (ie, "radar contact" without any further questions from ATC).
bdeweese

Post by bdeweese »

Thanks Keith. That does help and makes sense.

By the way, my brother (real world pilot) and I have been truly enjoying PE. He is on the trial, but plans to convert to a subscription once the trial is up. We flew yesterday in a non-PE coverage area and quite frankly, we found the experience ”lacking”. We vowed to only fly future flights in PE coverage areas, whenever possible. Keep up the good work!
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Good to hear! Well, not so much the lacking part, but the realization that the western half of the USA is pretty big, and you can find what you're looking for within the coverage area. I'm still exploring the WUS myself and am amazed by the deserts and mountains, it's great stuff, especially with XP11 ortho.
bdeweese

Post by bdeweese »

Just to clarify my comment - this was not a PE limitation, but rather our decision to fly an area along the Oregon Coast of almost exclusively Class E and Class G airports. Even in the real world we weren't going to hear much activity there unless we happened along another plane in the pattern.

Bottom line: It's more fun to fly in the busier traffic areas - where PE has lots of coverage to choose from. Thanks!
Ray Salmon

Post by Ray Salmon »

Just to piggy back on what Keith is saying: Pre-empting the full call with a "N123XX, VFR request" or something similar, gives me a chance to open up a strip for you and be ready to input all the info you're about to give me. If I can input it as you say it, there's a better chance I'll get it all the first time.
Ray Salmon
Manager, Pilot Services