Which Way Do I Go George?

RogerW

Which Way Do I Go George?

Post by RogerW »

Question from a new-be

When given a heading to fly after takeoff, i.e., "fly runway heading", "left downwind departure", etc., is it intended to be flown until clear of the airspace or inner core of a charlie/bravo?

Roger
Roger W.
Home: Valkaria, Fl (X59)
PE Rating: CAT-11, I-2
Real World hrs 7, Virtual hrs thousands
FSX
Aircraft: A2A Cessna 182 Skylane
Tail Number: N7365W
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCitoWL ... bagrJnQyrw
Keith Smith

Re: Which Way Do I Go George?

Post by Keith Smith »

'fly runway heading' or 'fly heading 220' or specific headings to be flown, and you should continue on that heading until advised. "Left downwind departure" is not a heading. You would exit the pattern on the downwind and then resume own nav once clear of the pattern.
RogerW

Re: Which Way Do I Go George?

Post by RogerW »

Keith Smith wrote:'fly runway heading' or 'fly heading 220' or specific headings to be flown, and you should continue on that heading until advised. "Left downwind departure" is not a heading. You would exit the pattern on the downwind and then resume own nav once clear of the pattern.
Thanks Kieth.

So I want to make sure I am understanding these scenarios.

'Fly runway heading' or 'fly heading 220 until advised': I continue on that heading until told otherwise or leave the airspace, whichever occurs first. At that time I am no longer under their jurisdiction. I would assume any altitude restriction is also lifted at that point, if there was one, without verbal instruction.

'Left downwind departure' or any other leg: Once I reach the point where I would turn on the next leg, in this case base, I can turn on course at that time or beyond. Should I climb through pattern altitude while on downwind or remain at pattern altitude until at my 'on course' point? I assume just keep climbing.

Please advise if I'm still not getting it. I would rather get it right in this forum than wrong in the air. Virtual mid-airs hurt, lol!
Roger W.
Home: Valkaria, Fl (X59)
PE Rating: CAT-11, I-2
Real World hrs 7, Virtual hrs thousands
FSX
Aircraft: A2A Cessna 182 Skylane
Tail Number: N7365W
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCitoWL ... bagrJnQyrw