ATC: “Do you have an approach request?”

CaptainMD

ATC: “Do you have an approach request?”

Post by CaptainMD »

Hello PE,

These questions are in regards to approach requests with ATC. When ATC first instructs you to contact approach, I beleive you should have the following information ready to communicate upon contact to maximize Pilot and ATC radio time.

1. Weather info. (ie mike, romeo)
2. Current altitude or climbing altitudes
3. The runway approach request

Is this correct?

Once the above communication has transpired and ATC hands you off to another enroute approach frequecy, do you have to repeat the above 1, 2, and 3 again to that approach controller?

Thanks in advance! Striving to maximize radio efficiency and make the controllers job easier.
Massimo D'Alessandro
Simulator Pilot
Beech Baron 58, King Air 350, Premier 1A
RogerW

Re: ATC: “Do you have an approach request?”

Post by RogerW »

I'm no expert by any means but I believe you just state your altitude so they can verify it on their scope. JMHO :)
Everything else should have been passed on.
Roger W.
Home: Valkaria, Fl (X59)
PE Rating: CAT-11, I-2
Real World hrs 7, Virtual hrs thousands
FSX
Aircraft: A2A Cessna 182 Skylane
Tail Number: N7365W
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCitoWL ... bagrJnQyrw
Kevin_atc

Re: ATC: “Do you have an approach request?”

Post by Kevin_atc »

CaptainMD wrote:Hello PE,

These questions are in regards to approach requests with ATC. When ATC first instructs you to contact approach, I beleive you should have the following information ready to communicate upon contact to maximize Pilot and ATC radio time.

1. Weather info. (ie mike, romeo)
2. Current altitude or climbing altitudes
3. The runway approach request

Is this correct?

Once the above communication has transpired and ATC hands you off to another enroute approach frequecy, do you have to repeat the above 1, 2, and 3 again to that approach controller?

Thanks in advance! Striving to maximize radio efficiency and make the controllers job easier.
I would wait to say your approach request until you are asked for it, unless you are familiar with the area enough to know which frequency they usually ask for your request on. The only other exception to that would be if you are looking for an approach from a fix that is significantly off your route of flight where it would be advantageous to proceed direct to the fix earlier rather than later.

Your altitude leaving/assigned needs to be stated on each check-in (with a few exceptions, but just do it all the time to be safe).

If your destination airport has an overlying approach control, check-in with the ATIS/weather on the first approach controller you talk to, then you should be able to omit it after that. If your destination doesn’t have an overlying approach control, just wait until the center controller asks you if you have the weather information/ATIS (or if you are familiar with the frequency that usually deals with the approach into the airport, you can give it to them when you check on).
Another point worthy of noting is that if an airport doesn’t have an ATIS, ATC is required to ensure you have both the weather AND NOTAMS for the destination airport. NOTAMS are typically never mentioned on PE because the network doesn’t simulate local outages/NOTAMS unless it is a long term runway closure. However, for real world purposes, if there is no ATIS available, be sure to tell the controller that you have both the weather and NOTAMS for the destination airport (assuming you have them both).
Kevin
PilotEdge Marketing
Want faster answers to your forum questions? Join our Discord community: www.pilotedge.net/discord