LAX Bravo VFR Corridors

RogerW

LAX Bravo VFR Corridors

Post by RogerW »

I just completed the Cat-9 at Fullerton and am getting ready to fly to Torrence to start my Cat-10.

Below is an attachment of the area of my question.
KFUL - KTOA.jpg
KFUL - KTOA.jpg (740.88 KiB) Viewed 11783 times
My questions are the following:
1) Do I have to use the blue arrow corridors at those altitudes? I think I know the answer to this one but wanted another opinion. According to the legend on this chart they are merely suggested routes and altitudes.
2) Could I not just "as a crow flies" beeline it across? At say 2800? That would put me a)below the 3000AGL threshold, b)below any Bravo shelves, c)above all of the Deltas, and d)below the numerous VFR routes across LAX.
Then out to the coast, a right turn and call Torrence.
Sounds simple enough!
Last edited by RogerW on Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Roger W.
Home: Valkaria, Fl (X59)
PE Rating: CAT-11, I-2
Real World hrs 7, Virtual hrs thousands
FSX
Aircraft: A2A Cessna 182 Skylane
Tail Number: N7365W
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCitoWL ... bagrJnQyrw
Keith Smith

Re: LAX Bravo VFR Corridors

Post by Keith Smith »

Great questions!

I'll answer your questions with two of my own, though. What type of airspace would be in at 2800ft along that route of flight?

What are the communication requirements for that airspace?

I'll post a more comprehensive response when we're done, but first, let's start with those two questions, then we can discuss what the flyway chart is for.
RogerW

Post by RogerW »

Keith Smith wrote:Great questions!

I'll answer your questions with two of my own, though. What type of airspace would be in at 2800ft along that route of flight?
I'm taking an educated guess here by saying Class E because of the thick magenta lines around that area on the sectional, final answer.
Keith Smith wrote:What are the communication requirements for that airspace?
None?
Roger W.
FSX
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Correct on both!

So, with that in mind, can you think of any regulatory reason that you could not fly the alternate plan that you came up with?

....nope :)

As you suspected, and as the chart points out, these are merely convenient suggestions. They're pre-planned routes that make it easier for you to deal with the airspace at a glance and get through without a bust. Are there other ways of doing it without busting the airspace? Absolutely....but they can't conveniently depict them all :)

You have the right idea, you can use those flyways, or you can roll your own plan.
RogerW

Post by RogerW »

Wow... I'm smarter than I thought!
Thanx Keith ;)
Roger W.
FSX
RogerW

Post by RogerW »

So.. I finally figured out how I was going to get from Fullerton to Torrence. I decided to head east until I climbed to 2800MSL. This would put me above all of the Class D air spaces I had to get past while staying below 3000AGL and the flyways and IFR routes in the area.
I was given a left downwind departure clearance from runway 24. After getting to altitude I did a u-turn and headed back over the field heading west. About that time the controller got on the horn :o and questioned my intentions. I explained to him what I was up to. I was above his airspace after all. A mere 200ft, but above it none the less. After hearing my explanation he was fine with it. I headed south to the piers, swung right towards the Vincent Thomas Bridge and called Torrence tower.

After parking on the ramp I called the controller and asked if I was okay doing what I did. He said I was perfectly legal what I did. I just took him by surprise. I was given an eastbound clearance and next thing he knew I was now going west. I told him that was my intentions all along and sorry about the spook.

* Lesson: When you plan on doing something off the wall like this, let the poor controller know ahead of time! ;)
Sorry Marcus :)
Roger W.
FSX
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Don't apologize, you didn't actually do anything wrong there...you departed east and left the airspace. What you do after that while in Class E airspace is up to you.
RogerW

Post by RogerW »

Yes I know. It wasn't an apology. But I will next time, out of courtesy to the controller, let them know what I am up to if I do anything 'strange'. I'm sure I caught him off guard doing what I did.
Roger W.
FSX
RogerW

Post by RogerW »

You can really learn a lot about how to do the Cat-10 by listening to others on the receiver. Some do it wrong, most do it right. By listening to others a person can learn what to do and what not to do.
:) quality time :)
Roger W.
FSX