Standard Pattern question.

FDXDave

Standard Pattern question.

Post by FDXDave »

So I've added the ZLA to my Subscription to further challenge me. So far that is working out. My Second flight I messed up lol.
So I also started FSEconemy to help make this jump more entertaining. Anyway, Flying into Riverside I requested the Visual runway 27 approach.
After switching to tower to soon.( nerves ) I ran into something I've never ran into before. ATC was to busy for me to request landing. So I was trying to think quick and
thought probably not a good idea to fly over the runway, so I flew to the right of it, then at mid field I turned right and headed downwind. She said I was suppose
to stay within a normal pattern. But she then gave me the clearance to land. Being busy I didn't ask for further guidance, So what is normal pattern..I believe a normal pattern would be left turns. But with most of the buildings on the left side of the runway, I didn't want to fly over the buildings. So I opted to fly to the right of the runway and turn right downwind. Should I have flown over the runway?
Should i only make left turns for a downwind?
Some Airport pattern's are documented. I didn't see any instruction on this one.
Thanks.
Dave.
rtataryn

Re: Standard Pattern question.

Post by rtataryn »

Obviously for Class Delta airspace you can't enter it until you establish two-way comms with the tower, so if the frequency is too busy plan on circling outside or above the Delta. For any airport, standard patterns are always left unless specified as right traffic, either by the tower or listed in the Airport/Facility Directory. It's good practice to always review the A/FD before going to any unfamiliar airport. Traffic pattern altitude (TPA), and obstructions, lighting etc is all in there. If you don't get the A/FD as a subscription you can look any airport up for free from the FAA.

https://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/flight_ ... /advanced/

Notice KRAL doesn't specify right traffic for Runway 27, which means it's left traffic. Note that it does specify right traffic for runway 16.
Rod
PPL, Instrument, ASEL, ASES
2013 Cirrus SR22T N877MS
2018 Icon A5 N509BA
1946 Piper J3 Cub N7121H
1942 Stearman N2S N6848
FDXDave

Post by FDXDave »

OK. Good point. I should not of entered the Class D. So that nullifies the question on whether I should cross over the runway or not. If I was given Auth to land, then it would of just been a go around with a left Base Downwind. OK. good catch.. Thanks for the Link. That will come in useful. Thanks.

Dave.
rtataryn

Post by rtataryn »

What I said applies to VFR. Were you VFR or IFR? You said you requested the Visual Rwy 27 approach, so that sounds like you were IFR. If so, you can enter the Delta even if you haven't been handed off to Tower yet. And you can set up your visual approach to landing any way that suits you after you have been cleared for the visual (assuming no specific instructions from a controller). Just don't land without a landing clearance from Tower. If you don't get one, query or go around.
Rod
2013 Cirrus SR22T N877MS
2018 Icon A5 N509BA
1946 Piper J3 Cub N7121H
1942 Stearman N2S N6848
FDXDave

Post by FDXDave »

rtataryn wrote:What I said applies to VFR. Were you VFR or IFR? You said you requested the Visual Rwy 27 approach, so that sounds like you were IFR. If so, you can enter the Delta even if you haven't been handed off to Tower yet. And you can set up your visual approach to landing any way that suits you after you have been cleared for the visual (assuming no specific instructions from a controller). Just don't land without a landing clearance from Tower. If you don't get one, query or go around.
Yes. I was IFR, I was given the clear to go ahead and perform my visual approach for runway 27. So by the time I was 4 mile final, there was too much ATC traffic and I could not get the TWR to clear my landing. So that's why I flew to the right of the runway. So now I'm again confused as to where I should go. Do I go to the left of the runway, or fly over it? Or was I right to maybe go to the right ( less congested side of the Airport ) then make a left base downwind once past the runway... Because it wasn't until I had turned around and was downwind of the airport that TWR said I messed up lol. Thanks. VFR would of been a no brainer, for I would of had the mind set to not enter the airspace until twr clears me to. In the WUS, it's no where near as busy, so this was the first time I had been lined up with a runway and unable to get the attention of a twr. Panic lol.
rtataryn

Post by rtataryn »

Ah OK. Yes, you should have flown over the runway and on the go around you should have just entered a standard pattern for that particular runway which is left traffic.
Rod
2013 Cirrus SR22T N877MS
2018 Icon A5 N509BA
1946 Piper J3 Cub N7121H
1942 Stearman N2S N6848
FDXDave

Post by FDXDave »

rtataryn wrote:Ah OK. Yes, you should have flown over the runway and on the go around you should have just entered a standard pattern for that particular runway which is left traffic.
OK awesome. Thanks for helping me out with that. I'm sure it will happen again. The ZLA is a busy place : )