Time limit to swap frequencies

CaptainMD

Time limit to swap frequencies

Post by CaptainMD »

Hello PE,

I thought of this while driving today. There, that is my unhealthy obsession with pilotedge confession :D

When ATC instructs you to switch frequencies, I'm sure you must comply as quickly as possible. But, how much time do you have to switch? 5 seconds, 10 seconds, etc. ?

Just wondering if there is a written rule about this in the AIM. Could not seem to find a topic regarding this.

Thanks!
Massimo D'Alessandro
Simulator Pilot
Beech Baron 58, King Air 350, Premier 1A
Scott Medeiros

Re: Time limit to swap frequencies

Post by Scott Medeiros »

There is no set time requirement. It is expected that you will switch as soon as you can.

As you transition different control sectors, those controllers issue electronic "handoffs" to each other so they know when an aircraft is about to enter their airspace. Once that handoff is accepted by the receiving controller, your current controller can issue you the next frequency once separation is assured and you near their boundary. The new controller will have no idea when that freq change was given (unless the 2 controllers are next to each other and monitoring each other's transmissions). In theory, you could wait a moment, or even check ATIS before checking in with the next controller. However, you wouldn't want to be off frequency for very long, just in case the controller needs to contact you or warn you of hazards. The best option would be to check in, then request to be off frequency for a moment.

That being said, this is PilotEdge, and many times a controller may be handing you off to themselves. In that case, they would know instantly if it's taking you a long time to check in.

Scott
CaptainMD

Post by CaptainMD »

Thanks Scott!

This answers my question. The reason I asked is because there are times while climbing via a departure, you are also executing a precision heading turn and then the ATC call comes in to contact departure. It’s difficult to look away from the horizon and look down to the right of my leg (where my radio is) and flip the standby rocker to the next frequency. I’ve been trying to complete my turn then hit the standby rocker and its worked out well for me. I just wanted to ensure I wasn’t pushing my luck though.
Massimo D'Alessandro
Simulator Pilot
Beech Baron 58, King Air 350, Premier 1A
zerofay32

Post by zerofay32 »

Aviate, then Navigate, then Communicate. ;)
Andrew Fay
PilotEdge V-3; CAT-11; I-11; Skyhigh 10
Commercial Pilot/Instrument ASEL/AMEL- KOSU / Commercial sUAS
jx_

Post by jx_ »

zerofay32 wrote:Aviate, then Navigate, then Communicate. ;)

if you hear:

"turn right"... start banking right
"heading 220" ... start setting heading bug
" descend and maintain" ... starting pulling throttle and pitching
"5000" ... dial it in

then read it back!!!