CAT 10 Challenges

Anex80

CAT 10 Challenges

Post by Anex80 »

Passed the CAT-10 tonight after 3 attempts! What a stressful rating. So much different airspace in such a small area. First of all, I want say hats off to the awesome controllers on duty tonight! They were very helpful and patient with me on my multiple attempts. Truly top notch!

One of my failures resulted from receiving the proper clearance just after I had entered Class B airspace. My question to everyone is how exactly do you correctly stay clear of Bravo (or Charlie and Delta for that matter) in a fixed-wing aircraft? A helicopter would have been perfect tonight as I could of simply hovered outside the border until receiving the proper clearance but with a fixed wing I have to go somewhere. What’s tricky is like with the LA Bravo it is surrounded by other Class C & D airspace, so it is very tricky to remain outside of all of them. Is it advised to simply circle or do a 180, climb above or below? I’m truly curious as there are areas of airspace where you could essentially get trapped if controllers are very busy.
Stubsound

Re: CAT 10 Challenges

Post by Stubsound »

Good question. I've practiced the CAT-10 a few times offline, and there are definitely some considerations. The mini route northbound is at 2500', so I wouldn't change altitude. We have some "wiggle room" between KHHR and KLGB class D where I imagine we can circle when ATC is busy, but I too would love to hear what the pros would do.

Thanks.
Stig Eliassen - rookie pilot
RogerW

Post by RogerW »

I did my Cat-10 a couple weeks ago now. On the way north I got right through on the mini route but on the way back through southbound I chose to do a VFR holding pattern on the radial using the heading bug and the clock, waiting my turn to get a word in edge-wise.

My suggestion to those preparing to do this one is to pick a time early in the day, say 0800-1200 PT. You can also break up the two parts if you like, I did for a couple hours. Just let the tower know after landing at Van Nuys that you're going to take a real-life break. And don't forget to tell clearance at Van Nuys that this is the second leg of the Cat-10. Also, monitor the online map and listen on the receiver for slow spots. I was watching and listening last night. The list of pilots was a page and a half long and looked very intimidating but ZLA was actually quite quiet. Most of them were apparently WE.

:D
Roger W.
Home: Valkaria, Fl (X59)
PE Rating: CAT-11, I-2
Real World hrs 7, Virtual hrs thousands
FSX
Aircraft: A2A Cessna 182 Skylane
Tail Number: N7365W
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCitoWL ... bagrJnQyrw
deansalman

Post by deansalman »

I was told when I did part one that I had to do part 2 right away, I wonder if something changed because I would have prefered to take a short break between the two.
Dean Salman
N117SB Diamond Twin Star
RogerW

Post by RogerW »

?I don't know?
I just told him after parking at Van Nuys I needed to take a real life break and spend some time with the family. It was probably about two hours before I climbed back into the plane.
It wasn't a problem for him.
Roger W.
Home: Valkaria, Fl (X59)
PE Rating: CAT-11, I-2
Real World hrs 7, Virtual hrs thousands
FSX
Aircraft: A2A Cessna 182 Skylane
Tail Number: N7365W
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCitoWL ... bagrJnQyrw
Marcus Becker

Post by Marcus Becker »

Roger's scenario is generally not permitted. It even says so in the exam standard. "Immediately after arriving at KVNY fly from KVNY to KSNA via the Coastal Route KLAX Class B Transition." By taking too much time, you're cheating yourself the challenge of the rating.
deansalman

Post by deansalman »

I want to try the Cat 10 again, it really is not hard. I get on the mini route. I have all my freq set and stand by set. It is when I am told to contact LA tower I get in trouble. There can be a delay after calling tower, then they have you Ident, so you have to wait for that. Is what is best to do is turn left away from Bravo under LA tower gives the to ok. That seems odd since you needed to be over the the 405 and 105 (Hawtorn Fwy) before you enter the bravo and then have to turn around. Anyway going to try again. Once I do Cat 11 is a piece of cake because I have done that a lot all over the western USA
Dean Salman
N117SB Diamond Twin Star