RNAV Appr Vectoring

FDXDave

RNAV Appr Vectoring

Post by FDXDave »

OK. So I'm curious about vectoring into an RNAV Approach.
Usually, ok always, I get vectored to either the IAF or the IF of an RNAV. Then usually follows up with you are cleared direct and maintain ___ altitude until you've reached what ever waypoint, and then cleared the approach.
So my question is can ATC vector you in between the IF and the FAF like it was an ILS approach? So they place you on a heading and then just say your cleared the approach. So then you would make the turn towards the FAF and hit APP on the AP to capture any vertical aid. I'm curious if this ever happens...to be vectored like this? Or do you always have to be vectored to the IF or IAF...

Dave
Ray Salmon

Re: RNAV Appr Vectoring

Post by Ray Salmon »

Yes, we can vector you onto the final approach course if we have it depicted on our scope. Some reasons why we will give the "direct to IAF/IF" with a crossing instruction are:

1. We do not have the final approach course depicted on the scope so we cannot vector you to it (mostly uncontrolled airports)
2. Our MVAs in the area are high and getting you on a published segment of the approach earlier will allow you to descend sooner and maintain a normal descent profile.
3. Vectoring to final increases the controller workload, so if it's busy, some controllers will opt for the "direct to" with crossing instruction and clearance to mitigate.
Ray Salmon
Manager, Pilot Services
FDXDave

Re: RNAV Appr Vectoring

Post by FDXDave »

Ray Salmon wrote:Yes, we can vector you onto the final approach course if we have it depicted on our scope. Some reasons why we will give the "direct to IAF/IF" with a crossing instruction are:

1. We do not have the final approach course depicted on the scope so we cannot vector you to it (mostly uncontrolled airports)
2. Our MVAs in the area are high and getting you on a published segment of the approach earlier will allow you to descend sooner and maintain a normal descent profile.
3. Vectoring to final increases the controller workload, so if it's busy, some controllers will opt for the "direct to" with crossing instruction and clearance to mitigate.
Ah i see. I understand now. Thank you for the explanation.
Dave