Class C question on VFR charts

Casimir

Class C question on VFR charts

Post by Casimir »

I'm planning a flight from Mojave to San Bernadino, to prepare for my CAT 7. I plan to fly due south from Mojave until I catch the 140 radial of the Palmdale VOR (avoiding the R-2515 restricted airspace), and then follow the V-137 airway until I hit the 150 radial of the Victorville VOR and turn direct to San Bernadino, which will fly me around the Ontario class C. However, I'm confused about something on the chart that I fly next to, and haven't been able to find any info on it - specifically - so far. This box that suggests that I need to contact SOCAL Approach within 20 miles:

Does this mean that I am required to contact SOCAL Approach, even if I'm not planning on entering class C if I'm within 20 miles? Or is it suggesting that I need to contact SOCAL Approach within 20 miles only if I'm planning on requesting a transition? I surmise that it's most likely the latter, but would prefer a confirmation before I make that assumption.
Cessna N5351E (A2A C172 / REP XPlane 11 C172)
Piper N5351A (Carenado Seneca V)
Scott Medeiros

Re: Class C question on VFR charts

Post by Scott Medeiros »

The frequency box is only if you are need to contact ATC for a transition through the class C or you would like radar services. Otherwise you can steer clear of the ONT charlie and contact SBD tower before entering their class D.

Since your next rating is the CAT7, why not give SOCAL a ring on that freq. and request FF? It'll give you a little bit of extra radio practice talking to SOCAL approach.
Casimir

Post by Casimir »

Okay, thanks - that's what I thought. And that's a good idea - I might do that for this flight for the additional radio practice.
Cessna N5351E (A2A C172 / REP XPlane 11 C172)
Piper N5351A (Carenado Seneca V)
toby23

Post by toby23 »

'Within 20nm' of what should you contact SOCAL APP? The Class C?
Mr H

Post by Mr H »

The Ontario airport. If you expand that part of the sectional, it will tell you to use a different frequency depending on your relationship to the position of the field.
Gary H
N503AM KSPA