Departing class D without instructions

Peristarkawan

Departing class D without instructions

Post by Peristarkawan »

On my CAT-06, I was cleared to take off runway 30R but didn't get any departure instructions with the clearance. Once I was off the ground on the departure leg, the tower instructed me to contact Bakersfield Departure. I did, and then since I didn't have any specific instructions I just made a 165-degree right turn from runway heading onto my course, which resulted in me flying past the airport.

The controller didn't say anything about it, but I was wondering whether I was doing the right thing. Should I have done something differently, like clearing the class D before turning on course?
jx_

Re: Departing class D without instructions

Post by jx_ »

That's fine. Your airplane always starts with no ATC restrictions. Think of it as an empty bucket. When ATC assigns something, write it down and throw it in the bucket. Don't take it out of the bucket until ATC verbally cancels it. Those are your restrictions. If the bucket is empty, you are free to do as you please in accordance with FAR (outside ALPHA & BRAVO airspace, two way communications within class DELTA & CHARLIE airspace, appropriate VFR altitude for direction of flight, clear of clouds...etc)