real world avaition headsets

FDXDave

real world avaition headsets

Post by FDXDave »

So I've started real world lessons and have been borrowing a set of headphones from my instructor.
I find this headset to be uncomfortable, mainly on my left ear cause my ear doesn't fit inside the ear cushion cup, therefore pressing against my ear causing discomfort. After an hour that gets annoying. I don't know the brand so i will ask, but does anyone have any recommendations on a manufacturer that maybe has a little wider cup for the entire ear to fit in?
Price range would be less than $400.00. Maybe there is a 3rd party company, where i can buy the cussions separately for a custom fit?
Thanks for any ideas.
Dave
zerofay32

Re: real world avaition headsets

Post by zerofay32 »

One thing to consider is how much flying you will be doing once you have your ticket. 10Hrs a year? 40? 100? If you plan to fly a lot, a headset is not an investment you want to skimp on. I fly in GA planes for work and average about 400hrs a year in loud airplanes so I went with a Lightspeed Sierra as my first headset (which is above your stated budget I realize). I know people that swear by David Clark or Telex, but I have had very good luck with Lightspeed. Headsets are a case of "ask 20 pilots their preferences and you'll get 20 different answers". All that being said, when my current Zulu's warranty expires, I will probably get a Bose A20. Most of our pilots ware them and like them.

Hopefully there is a local pilot supply near you that you can visit, they should be able to let you try different headsets on to check the fit. And if not, all online pilot shops should have a decent return/exchange policy in regards to headsets.
Andrew Fay
PilotEdge V-3; CAT-11; I-11; Skyhigh 10
Commercial Pilot/Instrument ASEL/AMEL- KOSU / Commercial sUAS
RogerW

Post by RogerW »

David Clark.
I am not a pilot but I used to be an engineer at Rockwell Collins and have had DC's on my head for several hours a day doing audio testing of our avionics without discomfort.
Roger W.
Home: Valkaria, Fl (X59)
PE Rating: CAT-11, I-2
Real World hrs 7, Virtual hrs thousands
FSX
Aircraft: A2A Cessna 182 Skylane
Tail Number: N7365W
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCitoWL ... bagrJnQyrw
Mr H

Post by Mr H »

What Roger said. Nothing in aviation is cheap, as you know, and I am finding out. I was told by a couple of people, my first instructor included, that the David Clark’s were good, middle of the road, headsets. I bought a set, under 4 bills, and have been happy. Can’t attest to longevity, but they are covered for 5 years, and they are comfy. Plenty of positive reviews, too
Gary H
N503AM KSPA
Shawn Goldsworthy

Post by Shawn Goldsworthy »

I've had the same pair of David Clark's for 20 years. I can confirm that they last. That said, The Bose A20's are the best. I don't own a set, but I have worn them. They are NOT cheap though.
Shawn Goldsworthy
PilotEdge ATCS
Scott Medeiros

Post by Scott Medeiros »

I used a Sigtronics S-45 when I started flying. That thing lasted through all my ratings, instructing, and a couple years at a regional. I needed to get the microphone wires repaired once after about 10 years and thousands of hours. If you do go with these, I suggest upgrading the ear seals with DC gels and a DC head super soft head pad.
FDXDave

Post by FDXDave »

Thank you for all the advice and recommendations. I will probably look into the DC headsets. I will likely fly roughly 10-15 hours a year. So not much need for top of the line.
I'll double check with the online sales company about exchanging, if needed... Good idea.

Thanks.

Dave.