Closed Pattern Work

CaptainMD

Closed Pattern Work

Post by CaptainMD »

Hello,

Regarding closed pattern work, I can’t seem to find a clear answer if the following option can be performed.

When turning on to final, am I allowed to overfly the runway at the published pattern altitude instead of executing a touch and go or performing a low approach?

Thanks
Massimo D'Alessandro
Simulator Pilot
Beech Baron 58, King Air 350, Premier 1A
Keith Smith

Re: Closed Pattern Work

Post by Keith Smith »

that's not a standard traffic pattern and would be questionable in terms of training value as you will struggle to see the airport from pattern altitude when on final, overhead, and on the upwind leg. More importantly, it's very common to have aircraft entering the pattern by crossing overhead 500ft above pattern altitude, then dropping to pattern altitude as they cross.

So, I wouldn't do this without first coordinating it first. Being cleared for the option while in the pattern wouldn't include this, mostly because of the aircraft that might be entering the pattern just slightly above pattern altitude directly over the field.
CaptainMD

Post by CaptainMD »

Thanks Keith!

I failed to think about the runway visibility and the other pilots who are at the fly over altitude. So my options are touch and go or low approach.
Regarding the low approach option, I’m assuming the controller would define the altitude for me or do I need to offer him or her one?
Last edited by CaptainMD on Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Massimo D'Alessandro
Simulator Pilot
Beech Baron 58, King Air 350, Premier 1A
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

A low approach is functionality identical to a touch and go in terms of the vertical profile...you just don't touch the ground at all. As long as you're dropping significantly below pattern altitude during the low approach, there isn't much to talk about. Whether you do it at 5ft, 50ft or 200ft makes zero difference to ATC. If you do it at pattern altitude, then you're going to surprise them.