IFR departure from KLGB in BE20

arb65912

IFR departure from KLGB in BE20

Post by arb65912 »

Last night I logged on PE to practice more of my VFR flights around and under class B only to discover that it was a heavy rain at Long Beach KLGB.
Since VFR was not an option, I planned IFR route.
I used ANHM3.VTU ( ANAHEIM THREE SID with VTU transition).
After I was talking to the Controller to pick up my Clearance, I was instructed that ANHM3 is not authorized for Turbo-props which was my case ( I was flying BE20, King Air 200).
Rest was my route was OK.
I was offered vectors to VTU and I accepted.

Rest of the flight was great except ..... in the very low visibility and rain, I took off from wrong runway .....oops but I was immediately given vectors and the rest of the flight was uneventful.

My question is, would it be correct to put LAX Vortac as a first waypoint of my route or it has to be VTU as one of the available transitions?

Thank you, AJ
Keith Smith

Re: IFR departure from KLGB in BE20

Post by Keith Smith »

Make sure you check your heading indicator as you enter the runway to make sure that you're lined up with the right runway. Many pilots are much more diligent about this after the crash in Kentucky a few years ago where the regional jet took off from the wrong runway, ultimately causing an accident and a terrible loss of life.

If you were going somewhere nearby, then chances are, a TEC route exists for the flight, and that's the route you're going to get. Review the I-3 pilot rating for more information on TEC routes.

LAX would be a valid waypoint to file as the first part of the route (ignoring the SID for a moment).
arb65912

Re: IFR departure from KLGB in BE20

Post by arb65912 »

Thank you, Keith.

I do set the heading indicator either to runway heading or assigned heading but last night I did not.
I need to take more time before take off to make sure I have all ready and where I am going.
That wrong runway was a bad mistake, I was surprised when I had to pull up because the runway was so short, especially from L3 if I remember correctly.
Thank God I was ready to rotate when I saw the end of the runway.
In the future, I will definitely be sure I am at the right runway.

I have checked TEC routes, there was no one for this airport pair, that is why I planned my own route which was OK except for the SID.